Tuner sensitivity flex vs older extend model

Hey folks

I’ve been running channels dvr for several months. I have been using an older HDHomeRun extend with transcoding turned off.

All and all, it’s been a very nice experience for me.

However, I have one specific tv station that has a slight issue with antenna orientation. I’m using a flat antenna.
Most of the time the signal strength and signal quality are very useable, with signal quality over 80% on average.

However, on rainy days or windy days......you can guess.

So I’m at a point where I might consider future proofing my system. I’ve looked at the new HDHomeRun flex 4K devices and would consider an upgrade.

I’m looking for some general feedback from people who have used the older HDHomeRun extend devices and then updated their systems

Have the tuners in the new devices improved? I’m not talking about the ATSC 3.0 tuners, just the ATSC 1.0 tuners using the old standard for now.

I’m hoping to switch out my extend, use the same antenna setup but get better sensitivity/performance out of the newer tuner on the flex device.

For instance, I can use the same antenna directly into my TV, and it’s tuner is superior to my HDHomeRun extend, with no signal degradation anywhere near as bad as the extend due to atmospheric conditions.

Anyone have any experience with better tuner performance on the later units.

Thank you all!

You might get better feedback if you post on the SiliconDust Hardware Forum and provide a rabbitears signal plot, mentioning which station you're having issues with and what antenna you're using.

Just checking, but is Locast.org not available in your city?

There are no 3.0 stations in my area, but I've been using all four tuners in my Flex 4K with 1.0 stations for quite some time. (It's actually an early crowdfunding unit produced before they gave it the name Flex, so I've got more experience with it than most folks.)

The 4K is much more sensitive than the previous Connect Quatro model, which as far as I know is more sensitive than the even older Extend. My 4K consistently pulls in more channels than my Quatro, including signals from far away that aren't reliable 24/7, so I've been spending a lot of time playing Whack-A-Mole to hide those.

1 Like