Tuner Sharing not working?

I've noticed forever that tuner sharing isn't working properly just haven't mentioned it. Maybe it's because I have 2 HDHR's (8 tuner slots)? For example, if I am off the LAN and watching CBS 3.1 on 3 different TV's, almost never will only 1 tuner be used up. Most of the time it will use up 2 tuner slots, sometimes but rarely it will use 3 tuner slots.

Tuner sharing is enabled on all clients. Source priority is set the same on all clients.

I just submitted Logs: 47e41b2c-a4fb-4dab-8983-23a603c8405f

Make sure the tuners are in the same order on the server and clients this can be done at the webserver.

I have both set. Something else is going on.

I also have two of the HDHR 4 tuner devices. I just tested tuner sharing. I connected 7 clients to one tuner, no problems. Even tested it with a remote client and they still only used one tuner.

What happens when you tune 3 or 4 remote clients to the same channel? Mine will for some reason gobble up 2 or 3 tuner slots for the same channel for whatever reason.

I connected 4 remote clients to the same channel and still only used one tuner. But all these clients were on the same hotspot, so maybe not a good test.

Well when I am remote, they are generally all from the same location/IP so not sure why it would be any different? Maybe dev's can see something with the Logs I sent in?

If you could give me a timestamp of when you experienced this (and potentially screenshots of what you're seeing), it would be helpful. In my cursory review I don't see any times that the same channel was tuned on multiple tuners.

Thanks for taking a look Eric. I just now had 2 clients viewing Ch 6.1 remotely (using 1 tuner) so I tuned to 6.1 here on my LAN and now 2 tuners are being used. It was a few minutes ago, approx 2:15 CST.

I just submitted logs: 786708d5-00a6-493f-9662-26fb0b6244d3

Please show me the screenshot from the HDHR UI showing more than one tuner is in use at the same time.

I'm still not seeing it from the HDHR logs.

2 TV's remotely watching 6.1 from same location, same IP, consuming 2 tuner slots.

The 3rd tuner is being used with Emby, you can disregard that one since obviously tuner sharing wouldn't apply there.

I need a set of screenshots that lines up with a diagnostic submission and a description of when it occurred (a timestamp or relative time before the diagnostics were submitted) and if the connections were still active when the diagnostics were sent.

I have 2 devices watching channel 6.1 remotely, not on the LAN. Tunings happened about 1:55 CST. Logs sent in at 1:59 CST. Clients still watching and connected to 6.1. 2 tuners are being used, 1 on each of my HDHR's.

Logs: 53d5fefd-88ca-40d4-848a-ba9b49b773e5

Edit: Sorry for the delay following up. Have been buried with the holidays and getting caught up.

@troyhough I don't see multiple connections at the same time in the logs.

I need all of the things I outlined in the previous post:

Just sent you a PM @eric

Thanks

Following up on this issue for everyone else to stay up to speed:

If all of those devices have the tuner priority set to the first HDHR and yet are tuned into the second one, my best guess is that at the point that the other devices tuned into 6.1, all of the tuner slots in the first HDHR were being used, and now that they are free, the new device is using a slot in the higher priority HDHR.

This is ringing a bell regarding a limitation that we found with the way that the clients request access to channels and how it interacts with tuner sharing.

If this is the problem that I remember, the issue is that the client apps do not have visibility into the tuner availability on the HDHRs, and so will request a channel to be tuned on each of the HDHRs in order. We do this because of many factors, including that there can be HDHRs that the client can see that the DVR can't, because the HDHRs are not exclusively owned by Channels (they can be used by Plex and others), because the Tuner Sharing settings can be different on different clients, and other reasons.

Unfortunately this is not an easy thing for us to work around with all of the other constraints that we have, so I'm not sure if or when it is something we will be able to improve.