Tuner Status Indicator

First, let me say that I love Channels on AppleTV and I’m incredibly impressed by the responsiveness of the developers. I do have a feature request though.

I had a situation the other day where an AppleTV didn’t release a HDHomeRun tuner. I really didn’t know about this until I tried to watch something remotely via the iOS app and didn’t have a free tuner. As far as I could tell at the time, only one AppleTV/Channels instance was using a tuner. I ultimately discovered the tuners.html API on the HDHomeRun, and by process of elimination elimination, figured out the problem. One AppleTV had two IP reservations on my router. Rebooting the router, didn’t release the IP address or the HDHomeRun tuner. Unplugging the AppleTV didn’t either. Simply turning on the AppleTV and then back off did though.

The HDHomeRun is in a structured wiring panel, so just looking at the lights on the device isn’t that easy. It is simple enough to check http://x.x.x.x/tuners.html on the HDHomeRun, but it would be nice if the Channels app also displayed this information. That would make it a bit easier to notice when a tuner may be in use unknowingly.

Ideally we could show this when we receive the “all tuners busy” message, and show you which devices are using it. We could also give you the option to force kick someone else off which would be pretty cool.

1 Like

That would be very cool. I was try to catch the end of the Jacksonville/Pittsburgh game, then the Minnesota/New Orleans game, on Sunday, but couldn’t get either. The force kick would have been ideal in that situation.

Nice, If this option was available I can go back to using 1 prime till the 6 tuner prime is released.

I posted about ATV not releasing a tuner the other day, so I would be interested in this as well.

My temporary work around was to add a step to my power off sequence on my Harmony hub that sets the ATV back to the home screen, which stops any open stream, but that’s not ideal, and doesn’t help with the ATV in our bedroom, which uses the stock remote.

If you click and hold Menu, tvOS will prompt you to sleep the ATV and also turn off the tv via hdmi cec

:+1:

On mine it’s click and hold Home (the button with the TV symbol on it). My bedroom TV doesn’t support CEC at all. The kids room TV (a Sony Bravia) supports CEC power/input selection but not volume. The lounge TV and receiver support both functions so some will find different levels of support.