Turning off Descriptive Video Service turns off all Audio

Here is analysis of the ABC Aust transmission sample I just took. Although this actual program does not have Audio Description, the 2nd track is active anyway and running same "main" audio as Track 1.
It would appear Channels is defaulting to Track 2 Audio - because Track 1 no longer shows up as selectable for whatever reason. I'll get proper samples when I can or hopefully @Maximus will beat me to it.

File
Name ABC Aust AD Bug Prelim Sample.mpg
Size 12.2 MB (12225640 bytes)
Kind MPEG video
UTI public.mpeg
Location /Users/stephenh/Desktop
Created 16 June 2020 at 16:50:44
Modified 16 June 2020 at 16:51:14
Downloaded From http://192.168.1.94:5004/auto/v20?duration=30
Container
ID 545 (0x221)
Format MPEG-TS
Duration 30 s 0 ms
Overall bit rate mode Variable
Overall bit rate 3 260 kb/s
FileExtension_Invalid ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty
Video
ID 2320 (0x910)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format AVC
Format/Info Advanced Video Codec
Format version Version 2
Format profile High@L4
Format settings CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC Yes
Format settings, Reference frames 4 frames
Codec ID 27
Duration 29 s 520 ms
Maximum bit rate 1 629 kb/s
Width 1 920 pixels
Height 1 080 pixels
Pixel aspect ratio 1.000
Display aspect ratio 16:9
Frame rate 25.000 FPS
Frame count 738
Standard Component
Color space YUV
Chroma subsampling 4:2:0
Bit depth 8 bits
Scan type MBAFF
Scan type, store method Interleaved fields
Scan order Top Field First
Color range Limited
Audio #1
ID 2321 (0x911)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format MPEG Audio
Format version Version 1
Format profile Layer 2
Codec ID 3
Duration 30 s 0 ms
Bit rate mode Constant
Bit rate 256 kb/s
Maximum bit rate 272 kb/s
Channel(s) 2 channels
Sampling rate 48.0 kHz
Frame rate 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Frame count 1250
Compression mode Lossy
Delay relative to video -1 s 571 ms
Stream size 960 KB (7.9%)
Language English
Audio #2
ID 2421 (0x975)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format AAC LC SBR
Format/Info Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
Commercial name HE-AAC
Format version Version 2
Format settings Implicit
Muxing mode ADTS
Codec ID 15-2
Duration 29 s 653 ms
Bit rate mode Variable
Maximum bit rate 0 b/s
Channel(s) 2 channels
Channel layout L R
Sampling rate 48.0 kHz
Frame rate 23.438 FPS (2048 SPF)
Compression mode Lossy
Delay relative to video -1 s 373 ms
Language aus
Language, more info Visual impaired commentary
descriptor_tag_extension 6
Subtitles
ID 2322 (0x912)-801
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
Format Teletext Subtitle
Language English
Menu/Chapters
ID 263 (0x107)
Menu ID 549 (0x225)
List 2320 (0x910) (AVC) / 2321 (0x911) (MPEG Audio, English) / 2421 (0x975) (AAC, aus) / 2322 (0x912)-801 (Teletext Subtitle, en) / 5501 (0x157D) () / 5500 (0x157C) ()
Language / English / aus / English
Maximum bit rate 44000

I'm having trouble identifying the channel number and hence correctly entering a URL to capture a recording :frowning:

@Maximus no problem I've captured samples from ABC HD and SBS HD from my Quatro box.

@tmm1 Aman, I'm about to email you samples as requested.
Hope they are what you need to bring back our Track 1 :slight_smile:

Thanks @stephenh. Did you try to watch in Channels at the same time and the audio was still missing? When I try to play the recordings you sent on my Apple TV, I see both audio tracks. Is it possible the earlier AD tests had some issues and they're now resolved?

Never mind, I figured out how to reproduce the problem.

@tmm Thanks Aman. Yes, I didn't actually turn off Audio Track 2 before I made samples, but you've got it figured by the sounds of it ... is this looking like a hard one or easy one to fix? :slight_smile:

Please try going to the App Store to install the latest Channels app 3.2.44 and let us know if it fixes the issue

@tmm1
Thanks Aman, I have updated to 3.2.44 on my iPad and it looks promising, Track 1 (English) and Track 2 (Descriptive Video Service) are both present on the menu and selectable, and it correctly defaulted to Track 1. Will try to test on my Apple TV 4K later this morning if I can. I also got a TestFlight invite from you out of the blue for ATV Channels? Is this the way I should pick up 3.2.44 there or is it in general release? Hoping @Maximus can chime in and do some testing also as after this morning my time I’ll be away from home for next 5-7 days and unable to test.

The TestFlight invite was an effort to get the build out sooner, but it looks like Apple approved it quickly. So just upgrade to 3.2.44 stable from the App Store and use that.

@tmm1

Just tried 3.2.44 on my ATV. It has solved the Audio Description bug it seems, Track 1 is back and is selected by default for both ABC HD and SBS HD, thanks!

It does seem to have introduced a different bug though. If I'm on either ABC HD or SBS HD (with AD channel) and I 'swipe down" and slide along to select another HD channel (MPEG 4 AVC 1080 in Australia I think??) then that newly selected HD channel is "stuttery" (about 10 frames per second or so) with no audio at all.

If I then swipe down and reselect either ABC HD or SBS HD (with AD audio 2) then they come good and play properly. If I exit out fully to Guide menu and select another of those "faulty" HD channels they also play OK.

Doesn't seem to happen if I select an SD channel (MPEG 2 ??) via the "swipe down" method.

Probably not describing it very well. Unfortunately I now probably won't be able to do any further testing for a few days as I said, as I will be away from home. Perhaps @Maximus can assist until I get back?

Stephen

Thanks for the speedy work.

Works for me on my ATV after installing the update.

It is a bit tricky to select the language menu using the Apple TV remote. Some work is needed to improve the usability of the Language menu.

@Maximus, can you try and confirm my new bug please and report? I'm travelling now and away from my ATV.

Try going to ABC HD, then swipe down and slide along to Seven, Nine or Ten HD, select, and see if you get "jerky" pictures and no sound? then swipe down, go back to ABC HD or SBS HD and is it then OK?

Oh, and I agree, the selection of sound-track is a bit awkward - luckily I don't use it much if ever :slight_smile:

@tmm1 I’m back on deck for testing, can you take a look at this again please?
The “swipe-down quick channel change” on Channels ( not DVR) is basically unusable on Apple TV since 3.2.44, as selecting a new channel usually results in “stuttery” (low FPS playback) and no audio at all. Only fix is to exit out to Guide and select new channel that way, which then gives correct audio/video.

I need diagnostics from the app at the very least to see what's happening. Must be sent immediately after experiencing the issue.

@tmm, no problem, by diagnostics do you means Logs, as in:-

http://x.x.x.x:8089/admin/log OR something else??

I’ll try and capture that in next few hours ... would more lines as in:-

http://x.x.x.x:8089/log?n=10000 be helpful?

Diagnostics for Apple TV can be submitted via the button at the bottom of the Settings tab. You can access directly on http://x.x.x.x:57000/log using the IP of the Apple TV.

@tmm1
Aman, diagnostics submitted, did "Video Player", hope that is correct?

First lot I sent will be a dud, 2nd lot should show problem.
At the end I went back to the Guide a selected a channel to show you it "coming good" via that workaround.

Let me know if you need anything else?
Maybe I can do you a short demo video or something?

StephenH

@tmm1, just bumping this in case you didn't see it as I accidentally "@" you incorrectly with my original reply ...

Testing a bit further ... it seems any channel you try to change to from Quick Guide is now "broken" (for Sydney, Australia at least), whereas if you exit out to (full) Guide they all seem to still work Ok.

I've sent a fresh batch of Diagnostics just now, just in case!

@tmm1

Aman, further update on this. It would appear the bug I’m seeing is related to the “Experimental” Audio Driver. I had turned on “Experimental” when I’d had the original issue with the Audio Description, and forgotten to put it back to “Default”. Now I have it back on Default I’m not seeing the Video Stuttering/Loss of Audio when changing channels via Quick Guide. Now on 3.2.45 as well.

I also noticed when I did have Experimental on, and selected a channel via Full Guide and it appeared to be playing properly, that even then I was getting lots of tiny audible audio dropouts, so based on the above I’d have to conclude Experimental is not anywhere near ready for use in Australia.

If you want any further info/diagnostics let me know.