Tv device to act as a cable box?

now that locast is available in my old hometown, i'm thinking about trying to get my mom hooked up with channels and locast to avoid her paying whatever ridiculous amount she's paying comcast right now...but with her being 72, i'd have to get her some sort of box that could be locked into the channels app. (or at least automatically open the app when she turns the tv on).

is there anything out there right now that can do this? an android tv box perhaps that can be locked into a single app?

There are autostart apps available on the playstore. I've used them on the ts4k and the Google chromecast tv. They boot into the app of your choice. I don't know of a way to prevent someone from exiting the app once they are in it. Mabe the developers can add an option to disable existing the app.

1 Like

I recommend the tsk4 as well. I stripped out the TiVo junk, installed channels along with a few other modifications and my mother in law who is 82 has no issues at all.

The guide button on the TiVo remote automatically loads channels to the guide and that is all she needs so no complaints from here this far.

1 Like

i had asked about this a while ago when trying to set this up for my mom while she was visiting us last year, but i don't think it ever went anywhere.

can any of the devs comment on possibly giving us a setting to prevent exiting the app?

I'm not sure that there is a way to prevent a user from exiting an app. This would be job #1 for bad actors. I have seen apps that have a confirmation on exit (Amazon) or an exit option (Netflix). But I can always press Home and bypass all prompts to exit the apps.

I think Something like Netflix would do the trick. Unfortunately it would make it a pain for everyone else not looking for this feature.

that's why i said it would be nice if it could be made an option, so those of us who want it could turn it on.