TV Guide Matrix use enhancements

EE TV (Netgem) is ceasing in the UK end March 2021 so I’ve subscribed and setup the Channels DVR as the replacement app and am very very impressed.

In order to make sure I meet the stringent wife compliancy requirements I’ve successfully set the Harmony hub to do the job required so far. I think I can sell the concept of ‘TV Pass’ to mean ‘Series Record’ to my wife.

My setup summary is in my profile.

Enhancements I think will improve the user experience for the TV Guide screen...

When on the TV guide listing:

Remove the menu. Is the menu required at the far left? Clicking on ‘menu’ brings it up.

Minimise the category filters to to a single column (like the main menu does at present) so it doesn’t eat up so much space & allow for additional guide info. The category list could expand when clicking on ‘left’ if on the current time slot.

When clicking on the back button, snap back to present time in the guide. If already in present then go back to the last TV channel that was being watched or be able to configure to choose where you go back to such as MENU/Live TV.

Default the guide position to the current Live TV channel... maybe have the option to have the current TV channel half way down the listing. I’ve actually set my guide button so it displays the guide and then enters the channel number we typically have up, i.e. GUIDE 103 where GUIDE is one of those function keys mapped to a coloured button.

Configure fast forward/rewind to move a user pre-configured 3/6/12/24 hours.

Jan 19 Update: Quick record from guide. When pressing the RECORD button for current program highlighted in the guide to have a quick min-popup to record now/add to the schedule... click OK to confirm or click (suggest) LEFT to add a PASS and then OK. Default settings for PASS etc to be set in tool menu for instant record settings. If program currently recording then a pop up to do the usual such as stop recording and maintain pass etc etc.

Jan 23: Deleted bit about ALL progs covered by PASS being highlighted in guide matrix... some get missed but all are defo highlighted in NAS DVR GUI so I’ll assume this is being sorted out as a bug for now.

Jan 19: When on a guide selected program the selection is white, however to tell if it’s recording you need to change the focus, move to another entry, to tell that it is set to record. A small recording symbol would be useful on the entry also.

Quick look at guide when a video (i.e. LIVE TV or recording) is playing...

Slightly more complex one... when playing and you press GUIDE, then leave the video on but faded into the background and display the guide. Press back and it leaves the guide and returns to full contrast video. Press GUIDE again when in the guide and a background video is on then the video stops.

...and/or... allow a 3/5 (defineable?) line mini guide to popup at the bottom of the screen during video play when pressing the UP key. Allow scrolling, program and recording. Press BACK to cancel the mini guide.