TVE and Xfinity

Anyone else having issues with Xfinity where Xfinity forces frequent (like every 2 weeks) password resets? This makes using TVE very difficult since once I reset the password, I have to remove and re-add the TVE source. While this is easy, it is time-consuming.

With Xfinity, I've even setup sub-accounts thinking that might alleviate the password resets. And no, I have talked with Xfinity about it, I'm quite convinced that would be a useless endeavor.

My main 2 accounts have used the same passwords for years ... never had to change it.

yup. happend to many of use here. repeatedly.
just use the search here and you will find several threads on the annoyance.

yup. happens to many of us here. repeatedly.
just use the search here and you will find several threads on the annoyance.
Trick some use is to change the password on Xfinity, then, go back in and change it back to what it was before...that way, u need not have to delete and re-add the tve source in Channels. It may take a day before TVE will work again though, but that is what worked last time for me.

I thought this was the way Channels DVR was accessing TVE that was forcing a password update ,,, TMM1 fixed this.

not from what I can tell because I've updated the DVR several times since the initial happening of this issue and nothing has changed and it happens out of the blue on Xfinity side to all Xfinity accounts on the account not just the one used for TVe. I also went a week without watching or using the TV at all and it still forced to reset

Funny I am on XFINITY and my main 2 account passwords have never changed nor was I asked to change them only the TVE account a while back did I have that problem. Going to get ready for some football cu later

I think Xfinity is doing this because they think we're sharing our credentials and therefor want to frustrate us out of doing it.

If you think about it, when you add the TVE source its out there authenticating every network that needs it with Xfinity in a short amount of time. That probably doesn't look like a casual TVE viewer activity to Xfinity auditing.

Yes, it just happened to me again. I'm on version 2020.09.14.2100, and I get the "reset password email" every couple of weeks. I always keep using the same password, it doesn't check to see if you have used it before. Then it still takes 48 hours of waiting to avoid "chrome..." issues.

I have this same thought. TVE with Xfinity has become mostly useless with Channels DVR over the past month or so. I reset my password, it works for maybe a day, and then Comcast requires it to be reset again.

Perhaps the TVE logic for Xfinity could be updated to not be so aggressive in authenticating with every channel provider and thus avoid being flagged by Comcast. It might be necessary to maintain the current behavior on the initial setup but then only attempt to authenticate a channel immediately before it's being used. While this would introduce a delay before a TVE channel could be streamed, it'd be preferable to constantly getting flagged for a password reset.

That's how it currently works. When a TVE source is added, it attempts to authenticate against all channels to see which ones you are authorized to receive. This initial authorization is cached, and used whenever a channel is tuned. If the authentication expires (usually lasts about 30 days), then Channels will attempt to reauthorize the channel when it is tuned.

So you have authorization at initial setup, and after that authorization expires, it's on-demand.

1 Like

That's interesting. Comcast might really have it out for my account then.

After your reply, I tried tuning a TVE channel for my account with a pending password reset. According to the logs, Channels attempted to authenticate 16 times over a span of ~7 minutes while the web player was hung up. This was on server version 2020.09.26.2221. Each time it fails with a "chrome auth_timed_out", shuts down the transcoder session, and tries again.

Another thought that occurred to me is that if Channels is attempting multiple login attempts for a pending password reset account, and it's doing it for every scheduled recording for Passes that are set up day in and day out, perhaps that is contributing to Comcast flagging an account for reset. And making it easier to get flagged in the future.

A new Channels option to pause all TVE-exclusive Passes after an authentication failure would cut down on the # of auth failures.