TVE channels freezing every few seconds

Hello! I'm using TVE channels (Xfinity Stream and Youtube TV if that matters). The playback is usually okay, but at inconvenient times (ie my wife's Nascar race) it starts freezing every few seconds. It's happening on multiple channels using both a Fire stick 4k and a Chromecast. I'm wondering if there is a setting or adjustment I can make to fix it.

Thank you for the help.

*Edit I saw in another post to change the decoder to Software. I tried it but it did not help.

1 Like

I take it both are wireless and not connected via ethernet cable. Most likely the issue.

Thank you for the reply. I don’t think it’s a wifi issue in this case. I have a good mesh system and every other streaming service works without issue. The freezing (more like a studder ) is very consistent when it’s happening. I would expect a wifi issue to go in and out at random times. In this case it either works perfectly or not at all. Nothing in between.

I have all my HdhomeRun units and Clients connected To an Asus AImesh system ... on my north side of the house and connect wirelessly to my servers in the south garage AImesh system and everything works fine faster than GIGIABIT ethernet. .. The backbone on my mesh system is WFI 6. Just recently moved and did not want to run coax ..... Mesh systems are so good now that ethernet is not always needed.

I'm having the freezing issue as well. It's not constantly buffering but randomlly will buffer for about .5 seconds. Once it starts, it will buffer every 20-30 seconds for another .5 second. All devices are ethernet. Speed test from each Shield shows gigabit speed. Latest version on server and clients.

This started a day to two ago, but I'm not watching much tv lately.

It happens for me while watching live tv, and for shows that were still recording. I didn’t test showed that finished recording during the freezing. I’ll have to test that next time.

From your channels client go into the setup and run the thing that tests the speed to the dvr server. That should be 150Mbps or better for smooth operation.

Made up rule #29

Anything lower than that indicates either an iffy WiFi connection, or an outright poor Ethernet cabling situation. It’s a good enough rule of thumb.

You keep trying your PAL 540p viewing from mars, and complaining about it.

The connects only have 100 MB ethernet and they handle 4 streams of HD and TVE is very low bitrate ... MY internet was only 40 mbps and I never had stuttering.

I have a Quatro Scribe and it can record 4 streams and handle several streams being viewed with only 100MB.

2 Likes

Pronouncements of nonsense never sounded so reassuring.

150mbps seems way too high. The streams should be a 1/10th of that a most. I reached out to support and am waiting to hear back. It's not usable at the moment but I would really like to switch.

Just an update incase anyone has any ideas. It does appear that the connection is too slow. The speed test on the channels client is now showing 43 mbps. I have an Orbi mesh network. My laptop is showing 585 mbps on the LAN in the same location as the TV so the wifi itself seems fine. The Windows PC running the Channels server is wired and showed internet speed test of 480 mbps (about half of what I expect). I have no issue running Netflix (4K), Youtube TV, Plex ect from the Chromecast and Fire Stick. Seems to me that the issue has to be an issue between the server and the the Chromecast/Fire Sticks but I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Any way to see from the Orby side, which node the chromecast/fire sticks is connected to? Strikes me it may be "stuck" to a further-away node.

Might be worth forgetting/re-entering the wifi network, from the client, assuming it's in the same spot.

That was a good thought. I just checked and two of the devices are connected to the closest router. One is in the middle and could go either way.

Well... I hate to admit that I missed something that probably should have been obvious but maybe this will help someone else. After messing with the network for several hours, I couldn't figure out why why the connection was so slow. Everything else on the network runs fine. Then it finally occurred to me that the server (PC) records to a NAS. The NAS is hard wired (and mapped) so I didn't think much of it. I moved recorded TV to a local drive and the speed test improved by 6x. As of right now it's working very well. I appreciate the responses.

1 Like