TVE Dolby and 4K support

Are there any plans to support Dolby surround sound and 4K video on TVE channels that support it? FS1 has been showing a few sporting evens in 4K and will be showing Thursday night NFL games with both 4K and Dolby this season.

AFAIK the TVE feeds do not come in 4K or Dolby, but if they do we will try our best to support it.

I'm not sure if this is considered a TVE feed, but the Fox Sports and FOXNOW apps on the Apple TV 4K and Roku both stream Dolby and 4K for some sporting events. For example, both apps will show the Cal vs Washington game this weekend in 4k. They also will be broadcasting the Thursday night NFL games as well.

When is that game on?

Will be interesting to see if foxsportsgo.com or fox.com/live show it in 4K or not...

Saturday at 10:30 PM Eastern. They have also been showing some MLB games as well as most of the World Cup in 4k/Dolby. I am mostly interested in the NFL Thursday night games. You can get a more complete list for the future by looking at the following link from Fubo TV under FOX or FS1. Either of them play in the FOXNOW or FS1 apps. The list says HDR. So far I haven't seen any HDR, just 4K.

You say that Dolby not supported on TVE, so why does my soundbar, indicate Dolby surround.

It is only Stereo ... My soundbar also shows surround sound using the FireStick 4K but it always shows that even for Stereo.

1 Like

A soundbar isn't going to make a noticeable difference either way. It may process a surround signal, but doesn't have the discreet channels to generate the effect.

you win. Im happy with it either way. Stereo or surround i'm not
bit-chin. Better than f-ing Tivo

1 Like

I know through the Tv connected app it will, probably not the website.

Its not really that Channels doesn't support Dolby. Its that almost none of the TVE providers do. The only ones that do are the major movie channels, HBO, Showtime, ..etc. The TVE apps for the regular cable/OTA channels do not. FS1 is the first one as far as I know. And, that is only for events broadcast in 4K.

1 Like

Regular OTA channels should support Dolby, since Dolby Digital/AC-3 is part of the ATSC North American broadcast standard.

That's not what I mean. I"m talking about the TVE apps for ABC, NBC, CW...etc.

1 Like

I was commenting on the paradox of OTA networks having streams with Dolby audio (which they need because of US broadcast standards), but only delivering stereo audio from the online streams.

I would like the Channels developers work out a way to get uninterrupted audio or video window on screen when viewing the guide, than Dolby Audio or 4k. Broadcasters in my area are a long away from providing that to OTA viewers. My market relies on the monies payed by cable providers to support the crapy local programming. There are about 15 Religious channels in Birmingham and I don't think they are prioritizing 4k or Dolby Audio.
My sound through TVE Channels sound great. I have no complaints. Better than what I had with charter or U-verse before. With those two tuner DVRs, provided by them, Channels delivers a far better product and the developers are listening to our issues and fixing them. So give these guys a hand on what they have accomplished in the short time with the implementation of TVE. I wish the product was available three years ago. Spent well over $2000 bucks on Tivo DVRs that do the same thing but with only 6 tuners. Now they dont work with my ex cable subscriber due switched digitals and now the mandatory FCC repack making my Tivo OTA useless because of no updated guide info. Oh.its keeping my office door open.

Just to steer this thread back to the original question: Will Channels TVE support 4K video or Dolby audio for TVE streams that support that type of content. This question is in light of the fact that both FOXNOW and Fox Sports TVE apps are already offering 4k content with Dolby audio. In addition, both apps will be showing the Thursday night NFL games in 4k and Dolby this season. The question is not for OTA. Its for TVE only. As far as Dolby audio is concerned, Channels probably already supports that in TVE. Is just none of the TVE providers offer Dolby sound until Fox recently started providing it with their 4K sporting events.

I don't think the 4K streams are available via web streaming, and aren't available in the Fox Sports apps on most platforms either. When they had the 4K streams of the Women's World Cup, those were only available when running the Fox Sports app on Apple TV or Roku, not on Android, Android TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, or Xbox One. I'd guess that's bad news for any potential Channels support, since it would probably mean there's some DRM in use that isn't supported on those other platforms yet, and of course Channels can't do anything with DRM'ed streams.

The Cal-Washington game on Saturday at 10:30pm ET on FS1 will be the next 4K event Fox does, if anyone wants to do some testing of their own. The first NFL game will be 3 weeks from tonight.

1 Like

I plan run some traces to see what the Fox app is doing during the game on Saturday. I agree, this is a long shot. I really didn't think Channels would be able to stream Fox's 4k feed because it did look like a special stream. But who knows.

It's likely that some (most? all?) TVE providers encode matrix surround into their stereo downmix.

This is basically how surround sound used to work in the days of analog TV and VHS sources.

If your AV receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS Neo, or similar decoding, try enabling the "cinema" or "movie" variant of the decoder. These modes aren't just "fake" surround -- if the 2-channel audio is downmixed the right way, then these modes will actually recover discrete center and rear-channels from the original surround mix of the content (albiet with some noise and crosstalk, and with a very limited frequency range for the surround channel).

2 Likes