TVE History Channel skipping, live and recorded

We’re seeing the History channel (Spectrum TVE) skipping every few minutes, sometimes more. It happens live and in the recording and most noticeable in the video but sometimes in the audio as well, where the video freezes for a second and then catches up.

We’re running the Channels DVR on RPi with the standard image and playback is on a unmodified TiVo Stream.

Any thoughts or solutions?

Suggest viewing the feed on the streaming site for troubleshooting. There is some pixelation happening on the stream as well. Its not a Channels issue. Channels relies on these web sites and if the issue appear there, they will appear on channels. Channels request the feeds as if its requesting from the browser.
https://play.history.com/live

2 Likes

The History Channel is part of the A+E Networks that also includes the A&E channel (obviously).

I'm mentioning this because they had an issue yesterday with the A&E channel itself that was not working at all, the live stream was down even on their website. I reported the issue to them and exchanged a couple of emails with A+E Networks Support last night.
The issue is fixed as of this morning.

I would suggest reporting the issue to them. It's better if you can capture a short segment of the broken video that you can attach to show them.
They probably need to tweak the encoder on their end.

I just submitted a help ticket to A+E Networks with two screen grabs showing pixelation on the History Channel as well as Lifetime.

Hopefully, they will be able to fix as quickly as they fixed the dead A&E stream yesterday.

I will post updates when I hear back from them.

3 Likes

That's great. I think I need to do some additional troubleshooting to see if it's a stream issue for me or something local. We just notice it when we have History channel on as we're going to bed, and I don't really feel like doing a bunch of troubleshooting at that point. I need to confirm that we see the same issue on both TVs and that you can see this issue on another non-Channels related device that consumes the TVE stream directly, etc.

As @kennyb3653 mentioned above, Channels gets the stream from the network's web site and it has been confirmed that their stream has the issue. The problem is at the source.

It will be interesting to see what you find out on your side but I already know the answer (you will see the problem on any device that plays their TVE stream). :wink:

What's odd for me, and why I wanted to spend some time troubleshooting, just to make sure I was seeing the same thing you all were, is that I have no issue on my one TiVo Stream and I have an issue on the other. Same versions, same updates, I even plugged them into the same tv so I could make sure it wasn't a wifi signal issue. I'm not really sure why the one we have seems to be skipping and the other isn't but I'm thinking it might be something which TiVo needs to help explain. It only happens on the History channel that we've seen. Not A&E or Lifetime. Very odd.

Very odd, indeed. Hopefully TiVo can provide a sensible explanation.

I haven't heard back from A+E Networks Support about this issue. They wrote to me the same night that I submitted the ticket to confirm whether the problem was with the live streams. Since then, nothing. I just sent them an email to ask for an update.

Earlier in the evening, I watched the History channel for a good half hour and didn't notice any problems with the stream. Last week, it took less than 10 minutes until I noticed something wrong. So maybe they have done something.

Hopefully, I will get an update tomorrow and will report here.

--- Edit: Here is the reply I received today:

We don't expect an immediate resolution, but please be assured that your report has been forwarded on to our engineers who will look into it further as part of their maintenance of the HISTORY and Lifetime apps and website.

Thank you,
HISTORY Support

1 Like

By the way, you can see the quality of TVE streams here:

1 Like

We’ve not noticed any issues with History lately so maybe they corrected it.