TVE losing Discovery owned channels

Since I did that yesterday, the channel is still working with no errors.

1 Like

I had this issue a few months back. In my case it affected my ability to access certain channels even through Discovery's own website and apps. I contacted Discovery support, they opened a ticket, and within a week or two they solved the problem.

Are you guys able to watch these missing channels through Discovery's websites and apps?

1 Like

Had this same issue today myself. Can confirm rescanning Science Channel cleared it up.

Ok so question for the group. My discovery channel line up does not include science. Is the science rescan still a step to try? So far the usual steps gave gotten it back over the last 2 weeks. But I could try it (science even though a legit error could occur) the next time.

I don't think it would help or hurt. If you don't get the science channel, it's already in error and a rescan won't fix it.

I think you're better off clearing the chromedata folder with the update password, then rescan individual channels that are in error. Then update password again to clear the chromedata folder after all channel rescans are done.

But then, what do I know?

I am. That's the first thing on my troubleshooting tips list

Ok that has been my go to steps except adding the password back after the rescan is something I hadn’t been doing. I’m sure it’s in pinned notes just over looked it. Thanks for the willingness to rinse and repeat.

I don't know the technical details of how or why, but my observations have shown that something stored in the chromedata folder causes auth issues.

If you add a TVE source and rescan errored channels, you should then clear the chromedata folder.
Otherwise later when you need to rescan a channel, or Channels DVR does it (when a recording or Live TV watching fails to start with certain errors), it will try to rescan (re-auth) the channel and if the chromedata folder wasn't cleared it sometimes causes it to fail.

Same goes for anytime you rescan channels, clear the chromedata folder after.

I assume it's some stale/invalid auth token or cookie stored in the folder. Only the devs know for sure.

Some users have even setup a sheduled task/cron job to delete the chromedata folder at a scheduled time.

This is so annoying. Went to watch something that should've recorded last night and it didn't. Checked scheduled recordings and see the error:

So I did an Update password, then went in to re-scan the channels. I'm still getting this: 403: Not permitted to watch. (access.denied.missingpackage)

Why is this always an issue with Discovery networks, especially with Spectrum.

Does hitting rescan next to Science channel help?

No, but I got them back. I deleted the chrome data folder on the dvr server, then went in and tried to watch on sciencechannel.com. It gave me error, but let me log out and back in then it worked. So I again updated password in Channels. Then when I went into manage lineup, the channels I tried to rescan before - Discovery & TLC were gone, so I did a rescan all channels and they came back and are working now. Frustrating though that you don't find out there's an issue until the recordings are missed. Seems to happen most often on Discovery network channels.

And strangely, I cleared my 403 error without doing a rescan.

I'm still having problems with this as well. I deleted and readded the tuner Friday morning and Saturday morning Discovery channels were gone again. I have tried everything here except the Chrome data folder, so I will try that next. The nearest thing I had to success of getting the channels back other than deleting and readding the TVE tuner was going to the Science Channel page and logging in TVE there, which got me SCI back, but none of the other channels. Let's home Chrome data fixes it.

1 Like

If you're on Medicom it probably won't help.
According to Aman in this post, the chromedata folder is only used for Xfinity and Spectrum.

When you go to Rescan Channels, what error displays next to the channel?

Started getting same issue, went to the websites themselves and couldn’t get logins to work there either

Having error again, rescanning Science did not resolve. Submitted logs.

Update to prerelease

1 Like

Working, thanks.

Tried Update to pre release, it says downloading, then Browser refresh needed, i did reload the page.
but I don't see the pre-release date, still the previous one.

1 Like

And no change to Discovery channels, they still don't play.