TVE not playing tonight

Who is your provider? I had issues with Spectrum last night, the weird thing is those channels didn't work on the Spectrum app either.

Please try the newest build

Hey. I downloaded the newest build and still no go. Trying from my laptop I just get a spinning circle. I tried to stream from the app on my phone (on my wifi at home) and get auth_timeout error.

I went directly to a couple of the websites again to verify it's working from the website directly and it does work there.

Can you try rebooting the SHIELD?

Still nothing. I restarted the Shield and tried it and just for good measure unplugged it completely and then plugged it back in. :frowning:

How did you set up YTTV on the SHIELD in the first place?

Hmmm... I don't know. I originally had the DVR running on my Windows computer and decided to stop using it for my media server and moved Channels and Emby Server over to my Shield device.

It has been on there for about a month and I haven't had any issues until Sunday night.

So, it's not even supposed to work?

No, YTTV does not work on the SHIELD. When you transferred your DVR the previous authentication from the PC got copied over, but when it expired after a month its not able to renew.

1 Like

Oh darn. Now I don't know what I am going to do. I re-purposed my server computer to a gaming computer that I don't want to run other things on.

Why won't it work on the Shield?

Probably has something to do with a quirk in Google's version of Chrome on Android.

Will it work if I have Spectrum cable or is it not working for any TVE login?

Ok, confused again. If YTTV can't be seen on the Shield.....I don't even know how to ask this. I was going to put both apps on my Shield. What kind of problems is this going to cause?

u cant use YTTV as a TVE source, when u have the server on the Shield.

U can still use the YTTV app itself as its standalone app, same as any streaming app.

Ok, let me see if I understand this. If I have the HDHR and a Shield, put both apps on the Shield, and YTTV as my source, I can't use YTTV? If that is correct, what good is Channels? To me it sounds like I must use another source or not use the Shield. If that is the case why bother? I'm trying to get everything in one place, not switch app to app. I'm trying to make this as possible for my mom.

As i said.....if u use the Shield as the SERVER device, YTTV will not work in Channels as a source.

If u have the Channels DVR server setup on a separate computer, u can use YTTV as TVE source in Channels the Shield is is the Client device with the normal client Channels app installed.

That is how I understand it.

I use Philo, Xfinity and a HDHR Quatro OTA tuner just fine with Channels.
I have the Channels sever software on a Intel NUC that is running Linux.

The ideal setup is to have the sever as its own dedicated device/computer, an have client devices connect to the server. This is what u will need to do to accomplish your goal, if u use YTTV as a source.

The Channels ecosystem uses 2 different apps. The first is the DVR server. This part handles the recording, as well as coordinating the streaming from TVE sources. The DVR server can be installed on myriad devices, from macOS and Windows, to Linux servers, small NAS devices, and even Raspberry Pi and other SBCs; you can also install the DVR server on the Nvidia Shield. However, while all versions of the DVR server allow for recording from HDHomeRun tuners, not all systems support TV Everywhere streams, whether for streaming or recording. Smaller ARM-powered NAS devices do not support TVE sources; similarly the Android version of the DVR that can be installed on the Shield has some limitations, too: specifically, it does not support YouTube TV credentials for a TVE source.

The second part of the Channels ecosystem is the viewing app. This app can be installed on your tvOS/iOS devices, as well as your Android devices. The Shield is a unique device in that it can run both the DVR server and the client app concurrently; no other client device can also run the server.

1 Like

Also note that TVE sources such as YTTV or Philo etc....u will not get ALL channels that that streaming services , as only some of them have a TVE feed that channels can use.

SO for many networks, like A&E, Nick, Smithsonian, Discovery Family etc, u still have to use the providers app to watch the channel.

Ok, then why would I have only a Shield and use YTTV? That seems to be defeating the purpose. I got the shield because I knew it could host both apps, but what I hear is it's not fully functional if I use my chosen provider of YTTV.

U would use the YTTV app in this scenario, to access YTTV.

U would need to use a separate compatible server device to host your Channels DVR server software, if you wish to use YTTV as a TVE source.

If your only option is to use the Shield as sever and client, then you will need to use a different TVE source, there are many supported.

Not sure how much more clear we can be about this to you.
As been pointed out previously, this is the one incompatibility issue with using the Shield as a server.

I suggest u setup Channels back onto a dedicated computer. U dont need anything with that much power, so u can get something pretty cheap.

There is existing threads on this topic and YTTV as a provider. U can use the search feature to find them. The other providers, like Philo, Fubo, etc, most provide the same or similar TVE channel access as YTTV

Has anyone heard that Xfinity TVE is now suffering the same fate on the Shield as trying to use YouTube TV? Reason I ask is that I am at my wits end trying to get my Xfinity TVE to authenticate again using my Shield's Channels DVR server. :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::exploding_head:

Believe me when I say I have tried everything suggested as far as rules and then some, and I mean .........EVERYTHING.......to get it to work! It has come close, but that was a week or so ago where it initially logs in and gets up to (at most) channel 93 out of a possible 197 and then just hangs. Lately for the past week it won't even do the initial login authentication to start the channels scanning. Here is all that has been posted in the log every time I try now. The only thing that changes is the login ID because I try them all, including making new ones many times:

2020/03/10 23:52:07.743864 [TVE] Auth starting for Comcast_SSO as ChannelsPlusDVR
2020/03/10 23:52:07.755229 [TVE] action=auth mvpd=Comcast_SSO requestor=nbcentertainment

And below is all it shows in the "Activity" section of the Settings Menu, and it will stay forever until I turn off and back on the DVR Server:
"Verifying login on Xfinity"