TVOS 11.2 and Channels with LG C7

This is how it is currently implemented. Can you try the latest beta and see if it works well or not?

Works great! Thanks!

Changing channels via the Favorites Guide (swiping down) does not cause a switch.

Changing channels via the Favorites Guide (swiping down) does not cause a switch.

That’s because it’s already in SDR mode. It will only switch back to HDR if you exit the video player.

Yep. I wasn’t complaining or saying you have a bug. I was just pointing out that changing between favorite channels is very fast—no switch required.

How do I get get the beta? Thanks

Got it. Thank you.

Tried the beta. As would be expected it didn’t fix the handshake issues but it did seem to make them a little better. It does honor the match content settings though so that works well.

One thing I did notice, on my set, going into and out of the guide it was hit or miss on if it was Dolby Vision or SDR. Almost 50-50 on what it would go back to.

I would recommend you contact Apple about the Dolby Vision issue you’re having.

I think it might be an issue with the HD Fury AVR Key. They are looking into it. The handshake issues don’t happen with it removed (but apparently I get audio sync issues without it).

Interesting results. I have the aTV set to HDR, and when entering the beta app it doesn’t change format to SDR until I select a channel. However backing out to the guide and back into another channel I got a format change each time. I did this about 4 different channels, and it always switch. Then it stopped switching and stayed in SDR mode for the next few channel changes (back to guide between). Then randomly started switching again.

Thinking about it now, I believe when I was jumping around channels on my HDHR Connect, the format didn’t change, but when changing channels on my HDHR Prime it did.

My feeling is this format switching every time the channel is changed is too much, if you can switch to SDR on the first tuning, and leave it there until exiting the app that would be ideal to me.

Also having this issue with my LG B6, Apple tv on 11.2 and Denon 4300.
With frame rate matching on, my screen goes blank when switching out of the Channels app. Have to reboot everything to get it back.
How do I get the beta?
I’m on version 2017.12.08.0017

Note that if you change channels via the swipe down favorites menu, there won’t be any mode switches.

The framerate switching was disabled in 3.1.5 which is available on the App Store.

A new beta is available with a SDR Mode Switching setting. You should be able to change it to your preference there.

1 Like

Great implementation. Would like to see Apple follow suit and allow the settings by application.

1 Like

I noticed something this evening that might be related to the new SDR switching implementation. I had a recording playing and paused it for quite a while until the screensaver activated. I then tried to resume by pressing the play button, but the screensaver stayed on the screen with the audio resuming in the background. I paused again and then pressed the Menu button to clear the screensaver, and then pressed play to resume the recording which then played normally.

I’m just wondering if this could be a symptom of the ‘hidden’ system player that @tmm1 described that’s being used as a work-around to get SDR switching working?

The bug you’re referencing has existed for a long time. There is no API to detect when the screensaver is showing so our options are limited.

Loving it, thanks for update!

1 Like

Oh wow, can’t believe I’ve never come across it before. Thanks for explaining.