TVOS 11.2 and Channels with LG C7

This was happening in the TVOS beta but was hoping it would be fixed with the actual release. When I go into or out of the Channels app my tv no longer seems to recognize the signal coming from the Apple TV. It will either show snow or a black screen for a bit and then tell me there is no source. I have to then restart my Apple TV and it comes back. This happens regardless of the match Framerate and match HDR settings. It only happens on the Channels application.

Weird. I have the exact same TV and it is working fine with the beta.

Beta Channels app or Beta TVOS?

I occassionally have this problem with a C6 and it’s not just Channels since I’ve seen it with iTunes, Hulu, and Netflix after switching. The issue seems to be in the HDCP 2.2 handshake issue on the resolution switch, and I think it’s because I have a receiver, Apple TV, and TV since I don’t see it on my TV that doesn’t have a receiver. You could actually open the Channels app again (even though you can’t see it, it’s still “there”) and that will force a resolution change and most likely resolve itself. Instead of hard powering it off, you could do the hotkey for sleeping the ATV and wake it up, or unplug and replug the HDMI cord.

*** SORRY, THIS WAS MEANT FOR THE SONY BRAVIA THREAD ***
Channels is switching to SDR and perhaps frame rate when you launch the app. You might want to try watching a movie in Netflix that causes a switch (e.g., an sdr movie). I think you will see the same blank screen delay.

Yeah I put it to sleep and wake it back up even though I can’t see it. For some reason it’s only the Channels app for me. I do have an HDFury AVR Key between the Apple TV and TV so that could be playing a role. Never had the issue prior to 11.2 though with same setup.

I’ve seen it on other devices and not just the Apple TV, specifically my Samsung UHD player, but I’ve also seen it on my Xbox One S very rarely. I don’t think the HDFury AVR-KEY strips the HDCP like other products they have, so it could be something with having three devices in the HDCP 2.2 chain that gets them out of sync and gives the static screen.

Side note: the AVR-KEY work well for the ATV4K? Been thinking of getting one for lossless audio output from the ATV4K without doing a full AVR upgrade.

The AVR Key works alright assuming it’s not what’s causing this issue. My soundbar doesn’t support Dolby Vision pass through so have it sending audio to the sound bar and Dolby Vision to the TV.

1 Like

Both combinations - I’ve got several ATV boxes, one tracks beta TVOS and all have the Channels beta.

Gotcha. I’m on the 11/8 releases version of channels.

Same issue here - Samsung U series 60" HDR running 11.2. Using HDR 4.2.2 and occasionally when exiting the channels app, the Apple TV 4K power cycles.

Wow it’s restarting the Apple TV?

Not sure if it’s restarting, or locking it up forcing me to restart.

But the screen goes black and the TV eventually reports no signal on HDMI port.

Do you have certified premium HDMI cables? Most cables that claim high speed do not reliably work at 18 gig. I see these issues time and time again on the forum for my Sony 4K player. Everyone is sure there expensive cables work and it is some time before they finally try inexpensive Monoprice certified pre I used cables and it fixes there problem.

I’m not saying this will fix your problem, but it’s inexpensive to try it. Just because it worked before when you never had to switch, does not mean this isn’t your issue. The AppleTV 4K home screen is the most trying data rate as it is 4K HDR at 60Hz.

Edit: See this thread on testing HDMI cables: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/2834097-test-reports-hdmi-cables-properly-reliably-support-18gbps-hdmi-2-0b.html

I do. This is definitely an issue that started with TVOS 11.2. No issues prior to that with same setup.

I have the same TV and occasionally see the same thing (on tvOS 11.2). I’ve noticed it when I launch and exit the Channels app quickly. An example would be if I accidentally clicked on Channels then quickly press the home button to get back to the main screen, I see the resolution changing (format changing) getting stuck. A couple blind presses of the select button or home button often gets it out of this weird mode.

Ive seen the same no signal. I force quit and restart the channels app, and then it fine

So are there any fixes on the horizon for this?

Did you try without the AVR?

I can but it sounds like others are getting it going direct. Will tonight and let you know.