tvOS 15.1: compatibility with Accessibility Shortcut?

It was cool that we used to be able to shake our remote (for mute + CC) but the new remote doesn't have an accelerometer (and that option drained battery life pretty quickly, we were warned.)

Under Settings > Accessibility > General > Accessibility Shortcut, I have it set to Closed Captions. The description above says "Triple-Click Menu For."

Of course the Menu button has been renamed Back (<) button in the latest model Siri Remote, but triple-clicking that menu button does work in Apple's TV app, to toggle closed captions on and off.

This accessibility shortcut however doesn't seem to work in Channels? At least, I couldn't get it to recognize the triple-click. Is that something Channels with its custom player is allowed to do? This feature is very handy for those of us who need it.

R u in tvOS15.1.1?

This accessibility shortcut doesn’t seem to work any more on Apple TV app.

Tried my ATV remote, my iPhone virtual remote, and my harmony 650 menu buttons

I’d swear at one point this was working for me about a month ago on Apple TV+ app at least.

Yes, I am on tvOS 15.1.1.

I have tested this on two 4K AppleTVs, a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. Both are using the new Siri Remote. Currenly playing is "Swagger" on TV+. I set the Accessibility Shortcut, and now, a quick triple-click of the "back" button toggles Closed Captions on and off, as described. This works on both of my AppleTV's. It should work on the original Siri remote too, using the "Menu" button.

Gotta be quick with those clicks though. Otherwise I actually go "back," and exit the show. Clicked with the right speed though, it works for me, consistently.

Just not in Channels.

Thanks @Fofer

It’s working now. I was using the Apple TV + app, but watching a program on peacock through its interface. As long as it’s Apple TV+ material it toggles. Caught the beginning of invasion, and it toggles on all the remotes. I guess I forgot that peacock is quirky.

Maybe they will someday revisit the remote shortcut toggle which was not working on my system.

1 Like