TWiT.tv livestream and XMLTV guide data

If anyone wants an easy way to get the TWiT (This Week in Tech) livestream into Channels DVR, you can use their Twitch or YouTube stream with hlstube, or the even easier Kister Method. Here's the URL I use, for getting it via channel 60000: https://kister.net/mpl/yt2m3u8?v=@twit,c=60000,ph=3600

This might be a quixotic wish, but is there any equally "easy way" to get this (consistent) schedule from its calendar format into XML for the guide data?

First google result: GitHub - ultimate-pms/ical-to-xmltv: Converts a iCal/Google Calendar Feed to an XMLTV File (to load into TVHeadend/other EPG Reader)

Looks like it was specifically built against TWiT

2 Likes

Whoa, sweet tool in the tool box.

2 Likes

I tried adding the XML file. I don't know if this is the right path or how it needs to be in custom channels input. I converted the iCal to XML but no getting any guide data.

"/Volumes/4TB/Channels DVR/TWITTV/basic.xml"

1 Like

I ran into the same issue. Would love if someone has a working Twit guide.

1 Like

Has anybody been able to figure this out?

If you look at the generated xmltv file, it only has past events and nothing in the future. So I guess that ical conversion script isn't working as expected.

Hmm, I had no luck either. TWiT's livestream channel is different from regular TV networks -- its schedule is identical week after week -- so I was hoping this might be be simpler.

@Richard_Hayles helpfully shared his EPG.xml file and workflow in a different thread that involves manually editing the dates himself, every week or so. I'm not sure that's scalable but perhaps it's helpful for anyone skilled enough to work with it, and/or inspired by the idea?

I've updated the conversion script to use py3 and handle recurring events like the ones used in the TWiT ical

1 Like

[deleted]

You, sir, are a phenomenal person :crown:

Really appreciate you updating the script. Is this not the right file location because I'm still not getting any guide data? Don't see anything in the docs on how to do this.

1 Like

I just tried uploading to github and copying and pasting the link from there and still not getting any guide data.

1 Like

How did you run the script? Did you setup the docker?

1 Like

I did. It created the basic.xml and inputed that file into Channels per the file location.

When I tried that it worked for me.

Did you map the data using the Manage Lineup window by clicking the plus

Does the log show data being fetched?

1 Like

I guess I didn't know I needed to map it. I updated my DVR to the latest pre-release which restarted the DVR and it finally popped up. Thank you for your help figuring this out.

Thanks so much!

This is working great, thanks so much. Now I can queue up recordings of some upcoming shows I'm interested in, and watch them after they've aired, in faster speed. Maybe set up a Virtual Channel too?

I do note that Season Passes for these shows don't work, maybe they're not possible because they're not regular TV shows?

Also is there a trick to be able to tune into this channel's stream in-between live shows, when they're airing repeats throughout the week? With blank guide data I have nothing to select and am unable to tune in at all at that time. Not a big deal but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

EDIT TO ADD: Yes, I was missing something obvious, the ON NOW screen! We can just tune into the TWiT stream that way, even without guide data, when the repeats are airing. Sweet!

I have noticed this too. I can record individual every week but can’t do a season pass. Maybe I need to try an advanced pass and see if that works.