Two antennas in two different states?

If I have a house in one state and a another house in another state and they both have an antenna. Anyway I can use both and view everything from each house? Does that make any sense? Have both antenna show from both houses show up at each house.

2 Likes

I think you could do this with a site to site VPN. You would essentially be spanning the network across both sites. For good performance you would need good uplink speeds at both sites.

Unless the devs have come up with a workaround, your problem will be that whatever Channels client you use will only see the HDHR tuners on the local LAN at the house you're at.

Say WAshington and FLorida.
In WA you can connect locally to a Channels DVR server and HDHR's in that WA house and use them, OR you can connect remotely to your Channels DVR server in the FL house, but it won't use any HDHR tuners in your FL house, it will only see the ones on your local lan in WA.

Pretty sure if your only sources at each house are TVE/Locast it would work, but you can still only connect a client to a local or remote server one at a time (you can't do both local and remote at the same time).

I believe that local tuners can be seen by the clients on the LAN at all times, even if connected to a remote DVR.

So, extending the the analogy above, at the WA and FL locations, clients will see the local OTA tuner. Then, which site hosts the DVR could also be seen in the remote location (but not vice versa.). So, if the DVR is in WA, the WA site gets only the WA tuner; but the FL site will get its local tuner, plus the WA site's feeds.

This would be a cool feature to add. Oh the possibilities.

1 Like

I've been asking for this. The Dev's don't see the need to build anything. Would be nice to be able to stand up two channels DVRs and have them share sources back and forth. :frowning:

1 Like

While I agree that would be a cool feature, it’s way outside the scope of DVR software. It would require establishing a VPN of some kind between the sites, or some other kind of networking wizardry. It’s challenging enough to get (relatively simple) remote access working for users with so many different ISPs and network hardware, not to mention varying levels of technical expertise.

Any way to simulate this by having a shared content repository in the cloud? ie: both houses record to, and pull content from a common cloud drive? That way no house to house connection. Recordings would still be managed by the system local to the specific antenna, but shows could be shared?

1 Like

You could absolutely automate something that copies the recordings up to a cloud storage service where they could be accessed from other places. Of course, this would require enormous amounts of bandwidth. You could reduce that by converting files to a smaller format when needed, but even then it would require a lot of bandwidth and a speedy uplink from each site to be able to access the recordings in a reasonable time frame. Not practical for most folks.

I agree with the "cloud" storage concept. "Huge" amounts of bandwidth is up to the user, even a slow connection will eventually upload large amounts of data. Cloud storage with a commercial provider is not absolutely required, a user could expose a server/service in their DMZ to provide their own cloud storage, addressing security issues, of course. The remote site might need to cache a remote program for uninterrupted playback.

However implemented, at least one of the sites is going to access program data remotely, either during playback or during a sync process. Data storage is insanely cheap, so caching remote programs locally with throttled bandwidth seems to be an acceptable alternative. As for bandwidth, we have 30/300, and higher rates are forthcoming. Slower bandwidths would work, but not if you want to watch a program in real time (sporting event), but should be acceptable for re-runs.

This is exactly what I do. I record directly to my OneDrive folder from my office (I have 1 TB OneDrive space), I wrote a script that turns on/off onedrive on my schedule. By morning, all files have transferred and have been imported. Works great. Record cable TV at my office, and OTA at my home. All show up in 1 interface at home. Keep in mind, I only use Channels DVR for recording, I use Emby as my Media Server, and Kodi as a front end.

You can do it “one way” meaning have two computers two home runs but only one computer has dvr..... on the home home (one with dvr) you will see locals and dvrs, travel to home two and log in to dvr away from home ... you will see home one locals and dvr stuff... and locals (source OTA) of home 2 mixed in......

I suspect if you had a second dvr account, and did the reverse you might get local home two on home one but it would have a separate account/signin... of course the sports can chime in... it’s neat to be able to see your locals in both places .....