Ubuntu nVidia GPU

I just set up a new Ubuntu 22.04 server on a Dell 720XD server. During the install, it detected the nVidia GPU and installed the drivers for it. I then installed Channels DVR, but it doesn't appear to be seeing/using the nVidia card and says "software" under transcoding. This is a rather beefy server, with dual Xeon processors and 32GB of RAM, but I would much prefer to use hardware transcoding if possible. What am I missing here and what can I do to force channels to use the nVidia card? I am fairly certain the card is installed properly as I can use it for manual conversions with Handbrake. Thanks, please advise.

Did you try installing the official drivers provided by Nvidia, as opposed to the Nouveau drivers?

Also: FAQ: Why is my DVR not showing a Hardware transcoding option?

That was a bad idea... I ended up rebuilding the server when I tried to install the "official" nVidia package. It even warned me that using the drivers detected during the OS install was a better idea because it was more tightly integrated with the window manager, etc. So, I don't think there is anything "Nouveau" about the drivers that Ubuntu offers to download and install at the time of the OS installation. They are even the same driver version number (515). After trying to force the nVidia installer on to the machine, it corrupted the desktop/window environment. So, unless Channels support has some input here, it may not be possible yet to get hardware transcoding with nVidia at this time...

Not a Linux expert, but I had to install a newer kernal than what came standard with my Mint Linux 20.2 version and my nVidia RTX card. Once I did that, the OS recognized the newer drivers and then I was able to get hardware transcoding. Might have a similar issue with your version of linux?

I'm assuming the OP meant this:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org

Google-fu is your friend. Lots of articles like this:

Good luck,

Chris

1 Like

Thanks all, I eventually determined that the Ubuntu installer didn't completely install the nVidia drivers.

I first ran:

~# ubuntu-drivers devices (this gave me a list of drivers)

I then found the best choice from that list and issued the next command:

~# apt install nvidia-driver-515 nvidia-dkms-515

That command took a few minutes and then when it finished, I rebooted the server. After the reboot, I issued the following command to confirm the install:

~# nvidia-smi

This showed I had it installed. I then went back into Channels and hardware transcoding was then enabled!

I hope this helps someone else stuck like I was.

2 Likes