UGREEN NASync

Wondering if the good folks at Channels have had a chance to check out UGreen's NASync offering that's about to go on sale. Curious if you could see supporting this new NAS for Channels in the future. Seems like it hits all the right sweet spots with an Intel processor and high expandability in regards to RAM and M.2 slots for caching.

I'm sure it supports Docker. So you can easily host Channels DVR Server that way on it.

1 Like

It does indeed! I had a feeling you all might have already looked into it since it's got a fair amount of buzz and I'm looking to upgrade my aging WD PR4100 at some point in the future. I know it's far too early to say if you'd create a native app, but without experience on the Docker version, I assume it runs without much latency?

Docker is nothing more than a simple package manager. Everything runs natively on the host. You could barely even consider it a "VM" as most people think it is.

The processes show up in the hosts processes manager. There's practically zero overhead.

We'll most likely not build something native for that NAS since Docker will handle it just fine.

1 Like

It's a Kickstarter campaign that doesn't launch until tomorrow; I would wait until it is actually shipping and in your hands before assessing its viability.

But if it runs Linux or FreeBSD, or supports Linux containers, then there is no reason to think it won't behave the same as all of the other NAS products on the market.

I've done as much research on it that I can, but sounds like Docker will for sure be available. It's Debian-based. What I'm curious about is what that might mean for transcoding. Does that still work with Channels from within Docker, if I run it that way?

Oh yes, I watched his and many other YouTube video overviews :slight_smile:

If the device itself can handle hardware transcoding, then passing that functionality into a container is trivial. But that's a hardware issue, not a software issue.

(Hardware transcoding within a container works fine, for platforms that offer it.)

Ah okay gotcha - and yes, the UGREEN NAS I'm eyeing would support transcoding. Looks to be one of the more powerful NAS systems on the market with Intel i5 CPUs.