UK Differences Between HDHR5-4DT & HDFX-4DT?

Other than the USB drive port (for HDHR software users) on the newer HDFX-4DT what are the improvements over the HDHR5-4DT which I already have?

I read here that newer HDHRs use TCP over UDP so maybe that’s one improvement?

I discovered the HDFX after starting to research pixelation after pause with my Firestick & maybe a (to be tested) Firecube. Channels pauses for long periods on my Sony Android TV.

I’m keen to optimise my solution for the WAF (wife approval factor) before cancelling our UK Sky Q subs in August.

Any other UK specific advice very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.
Long time lurker now sub.

[Solid MikroTik 1Gb wired network, Synology DS218+ (Max 6Gb RAM) with Channels in a container]

None. The USB port is the only difference.

That change was between the gen3 and gen4 models; the models you are asking about are after that change.

Amazon devices have notoriously spotty video decoder firmwares, and what worked at one point may start exhibiting issues after an update. You ought to try switching the app to use software decoding to bypass Amazon's video firmware.

2 Likes

Thank you @racameron much appreciated.

If you have Sky Q and therefore the dish and cables already I would thoroughly recommend getting a Kathrein EXIP418 for your free to air stuff. They are expensive but give you 8 tuners and more channels, often at better quality, than with HDHRs terrestrial feed. It will work perfectly using your existing Sky Q cables as it can be configured for Wideband.

I started my Channels journey using on HDHR quattros but switched over a few months back. There were some issues early on with Channels tuning to the SATIP feed, but the devs solved that. Also getting the satellite tuning data was a total pain, but another user Neil has published a recent set of data which would make life much easier for someone setting it up now.

M3U Astra channel list

SATIP Thread

1 Like

That’s very helpful thank you @GeoffT. I’m familiar with Kathrein’s broadcast antenna division from my career.

Rgds, Steve

1 Like

Hi again @racameron, After searching unsuccessfully please could you point me to where I’ll find the hardware / software decoding setting please?

Many thanks again,
Steve

Did you look in Settings > Playback > Advanced ?

@chDVRuser OK, yes, I’ve found it thank you. I’m away from home at my son’s and have just installed ChannelsDVR on his Firestick to search.

I was looking in the wrong place, thinking I’d see what I was looking for in the server side settings rather than the Channels Firestick app!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.