UK Guide Data Accuracy

Firstly great work on a beautiful and usable app. I find in England the data is not good in the channels app. Sometimes it will say something is airing next but it is currently airing or it will just say the wrong television program is playing. It seems odd as I haven’t encountered this issue in other applications. Can you please look into this for us? Can anyone else in England confirm if this is also a problem for them? Thank you.

This is a common issue unfortunately, caused by inaccurate data coming from SiliconDust’s servers. I recommend you report it to them via [email protected] or their forums. You can find some threads there by other users who having been having this issue (@Matt for instance has been trying to get things resolved for ages).

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=29002

In the mean time, you can switch guide providers in the app by “click and hold” on your HDHomeRun on the Settings tab, and then selecting “EPG from DVB”. This will give you 100% accurate guide data that comes directly from the tv signal, but will not show any images.

Appreciate the quick response. I’ll send a message to silicon dust.

Will your new solution have better UK guide data? i want what SD have tried but actually working, or if you are implementing a grid view this is solved by EPG from DVB i guess

I have reported multiple times to SD regarding channels showing the wrong data and they say they’ll pass it on to their provider but still not working properly. My latest email telling them about an error in the guide got ignored. Really disappointing.

I have given up with SD they don’t fix anything but say they have! Good hardware crap anything else

I recommend switching the app over to either “EPG from DVB” or “EPG from Gracenote” for more accurate data.

SiliconDust has launched a new guide provider for UK and Australia today, so I recommend you switch back to “EPG from SiliconDust” for the best data.

2 Likes

Been using it this evening. It’s appears to be flawless with its programs and descriptions. Shame SD didn’t do this 12months ago. Now here’s for hoping they extend the guide to 24hrs of info :+1:t2:

This is great news! I’ll be checking this out tonight!

Hi hippykiller2,

Does the SD guide data feature images for all TV shows? I love the rich view that Channels provides but it seems SD is the only one who provides all that metadata.

I’m in the UK TRAM, but I’ve found the Silicon Dust metadata is now 100% accurate. All the images, all the shows, all the start and finish times and even the episode descriptions are now flawless.
I use Channels for all my live TV viewing (about 6-10hrs a day) and haven’t found a single error on the guide yet since the change. Even the Mrs is using it now. She’s even started using Kodi with the Paradox build build for our VOD needs. The Apple TV is on now 24/7, which is what I’ve wanted since I bought it :hugs:

Its true the data is perfect now…But using SD data i only get the next 4 hours or so DVB i get 5 days

Soooo close

You’re right it’s been perfect except for a few less popular channels missing logos and 1 or 2 obscure channels not having any guide data. It’s a vast improvement on what SD were sending before.

Slightly off topic: I know the DVR will be US/Canada only at first, but I really hope Channels quickly expands to the UK with the same metadata source that SD is now using. DVB data is pretty complete in the UK compared with the US, but unfortunately it doesn’t include season/episode info (as far as I know), so it’s not ideal for DVR use.

Slightly further off topic: When DVR does come to the UK, it would be great if it also used EIT p/f data so “accurate recording” is supported.

2 Likes