UK picture at 50hz

Hi, small gripe which you might be able to sort. In the U.K we have to set our ATV to output at 50hz 1080p to ensure a smooth picture on Channels as U.K OTA signals are 50hz. If we don’t we get a small judder to the picture which can be a little disorienting. The thing is if we do this, other apps like Netflix then develop a slight blurring to them as they try to output at 60hz.
Would it be possible to put a 50hz output selection into the Channels app? We can then select 1080p auto on the ATV resolution settings and then ideally get the best picture possible on all apps.
I find I tend to use my TV’s native Netflix app as I can’t deal with the blurring unless I switch the ATV back to 60hz.
Cheers guys.

2 Likes

Wow that’s really annoying.

AFAIK we have no control over the system video settings from inside our app. It’s possible we might be able to change the framerate on the OTA video, but then it would probably look off. And we’re already tight on CPU usage, so there’s not much room to do additional video processing.

Yeh we use the PAL standard for broadcasts. I think a few EU countries do. Yeh we either get a judder on Channels, or a blur on Netflix depending on whether we’ve set the ATV to output at 60hz or 50hz refresh rate. There’s no combination of settings which will resolve it, I’ve tried everything.
If a tweek can be made so we can resolve it, then big thumbs up :+1:t2:. I didn’t know if something could be done with the media player you use or codec or something. I’m not that clued up on that side of things.

Any update on this @tmm1 @hippykiller2?

This is the same in NZ. Ota is 50hz and having it at 60hz skips frames. When setting the apple tv to auto it doesn’t switch to 50hz for channels app.

Not that I tested bud. We had a few goes but nothing successful that I’m aware of. Best setting the ATV4 to 1080p 50htz rather than Auto for the time being, helps smooth things out.

I’m in the UK and I’ve set my ATV to 60Hz, and in Channels I have interlacing set to blend. The judder is occasionally still noticeable, but it seems to be the best setting app (aside from setting the ATV to 50Hz). I don’t set it to 50Hz because I find the judder to be far worse in other apps (Netflix, etc).

Of course the best solution would be for Apple to add support for native framerate switching.

1 Like

Wow maybe I am really not as discerning a viewer as I thought. I’ve never even noticed those settings exist let alone changed them and not notIced any issues with the picture!

Thanks mate. Will try that out.

I experience this judder as well, it is a bit disorientating. The good thing is that the audio does not drop out.

hippykiller2 - are you using Apple TV 4K? I don’t really want to change mine back to 1080P if I can help it as that was the whole point for me upgrading.