Unable to access my DVR away from home

Whilst it may or may not be related, I'm unable to get remote access to work at this time - what do your DVR error logs show, i.e when you turn off/on remote access? And/or the Support tab from the DVR UI?

I'm getting errors with cert generation, due to missing DNS entries, the TXT records do not exist, which would be on the Channels infrastructure side. Have emailed support@

2020/08/07 12:58:35.937950 [TLS] Certificate generation failed. Trying again while waiting for 5 consecutive responses: acme: Error -> One or more domains had a problem:

[*.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net] acme: error: 400 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net - check that a DNS record exists for this domain, url:

[bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net] acme: error: 400 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net - check that a DNS record exists for this domain, url:

2020/08/07 12:59:19.113769 [ERR] Generating SSL cert failed: acme: Error -> One or more domains had a problem:

[*.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net] acme: error: 400 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: During secondary validation: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net - check that a DNS record exists for this domain, url:

[bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net] acme: error: 403 :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:unauthorized :: Incorrect TXT record "jriWVDLULbsp3e2E6o4wx0CPwXB3dB4Meh7SC12oc3o" found at _acme-challenge.bxxxxxxxx.channelsdvr.net, url:

Does portchecker.co show 8089 as open?

Nope it’s closed. I have port forwarding turned on thru my router. Same configuration I’ve had for awhile.

Okay so now when you go to ipchicken.com it only shows ipv6 address?

No it shows my ipv4 address which I think is a cgnat address. They put that in front of the address of my ONT.

So any thoughts on what my next steps are @tmm1? I don't see a whole lot of IPV6 talk on the forum so I'm not sure where to go.

On https://www.whatismyip.com/ does it list an IPV6 ip as well?

It doesn't. I can give you what is assigned to me. But its not showing automagically on that site.

1 Like

I'm going to reset my config on my Edge Router tonight when no one is on the network and reconfigure it with IPV6 from the get-go and see what happens. I'm not sure if I also need DHCPv6 prefix delegation, but I'll enable it this time around. I did not upon initial setup.

Side note: I did get Plex to work remotely but I think that was due to me messing around with settings within Plex itself.

Can you email your ipv6 address to [email protected]

Yeah I will when my ISP figures out what they are doing. Since no site could see my public ipv6 IP I went to them to see what is going on. My network config is in a cluster right now and they have to wait till the IP services guys get in tomorrow. Essentially their equipment is assigning me X IP, but they see me as having a static Y IP assigned. Tried renewing my lease multiple times, restarted, same thing. So I don't know what's going on :slight_smile:

@tmm1 e-mail sent

@tmm1 do you have any update on this?

@tmm1 any update?

No update yet. Our system is not set up for ipv6 so we're trying to figure out what all is involved. Does 8089 show up as open on that ipv6 address?

I have a new IPv6 address that I've been playing with. I have opened it up via my firewall and access shows open. You should have it in your email in a minute.

Not sure what you did @tmm1 but I can now access my ChannelsDVR Remotely! Thanks! Any update on what needed done?

@tmm1 I was at a friends house today and tried accessing my DVR from a TiVo stream. I was able to log in just fine but when the app tried connecting to the DVR it said it couldn’t find the url.

Maybe they don't have ipv6 enabled on their modem/router?