Uninstall Windows?

How do you uninstall Channels DVR from Windows? I cannot find any way to do so.

To remove the DVR from your PC, follow these steps:

1. right click on the task bar icon, click Exit
  2. open Task Manager, click on Startup tab and delete Channels DVR entry
  3. go to c:\ProgramData and delete ChannelsDVR directory
2 Likes

What is the process to completely remove Channels DVR from Windows? I deleted the ProgramData folder but I was still seeing Channels-dvr in the Startup tab of task manager. I could enable it or disable it, but couldn’t delete it. I ended up having to download a Microsoft app called Autoruns for Windows to remove the entry. Hopefully a better uninstall process can be developed. I shouldn’t have to manually dig and delete stuff. In my case, I moved from a Windows PC to a Qnap NAS, and the DVR kept flipping over to the Windows PC and saving recordings there even though I had deleted all of the save location folders.

This step should stop the DVR from starting up and remove it as well. Were you not able to delete from the Task Manager Startup tab?

I agree we need a better uninstaller… it should be integrated into Add/Remove Programs like everything else. This is on my long-term TODO list.

2 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be a way to “delete” something from the Startup… what am I missing? I’ve deleted the Channels DVR directory, but I can’t delete the service call in Startup. (Although it is disabled.)

1 Like

You’re right it seems Task Manager only lets you disable and not delete. I thought I was able to hit the backspace key before but maybe it only works on windows pro or something.

You can try “msconfig” from the start menu and see if that lets you delete the entry.

this script should clean up an install. pick and choose what you need.

REM removes Start Menu Shortcut
    del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Channels DVR.lnk"
    REM removes startup from registry
    reg delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "Channels DVR" /f
    REM Closes the installer (probably unnecessary but whatever)
    taskkill /IM InstallChannelsDVR.exe
    REM Closes the DVR executeable so the directory can be deleted
    taskkill /IM channels-dvr.exe
    REM Deletes the Entire DVR directory, including Data and Versioned folders
    RD "C:\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR" /s /q
2 Likes

We have an official uninstaller now, built into the new setup utility. Get it from https://channels-dvr.s3.amazonaws.com/SetupChannelsDVR.exe

1 Like

So i am trying to use the uninstaller and when I select uninstall the exe file installs the DVR vs. uninstall. Any guidance help would be appreciated on how to uninstall.

TiA!

1 Like

Please use the latest version from https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#windows

unsolved, it does not uninstall from installer!

1 Like

A year later and the uninstall in the installer just installs the dvr. Worst decision ever to try this app.

Agreed Uninstaller is just re-installing. I love Channels DVR and use it at home, but testing it on my Mom's pc should not cause these kinds of headaches to Uninstall.

The originally stated method to uninstall doesn't work for you? Did you try it? At any point over the course of the year?

To remove the DVR from your PC, follow these steps:

1. right click on the task bar icon, click Exit
  2. open Task Manager, click on Startup tab and delete Channels DVR entry
  3. go to c:\ProgramData and delete ChannelsDVR directory

Wow after reading two forum threads I realize this program is not for me.

this program is great at recording the live shows you want. it does lack in the installing and uninstalling department. if you combine plex, playon, and philo . you can get all your streaming services recorded into a nice plex interface.

a problem uninstalling is you need to run there installer manually clicking it.
2. make sure to remove the service
3. uninstall channels dvr

don't delete the program folder before removing the service and uninstalling, because the uninstalling process gets stuck. you can fix it, but its a pain. just make sure to do in order.

i wish they would provide switches to run from the cmd line to uninstall and reinstall, but i assume that dont exist according to google :slight_smile: