Unwatched vs up next recordings

Apologies if this has already been covered (though I can’t see it) but wouldn’t it it make sense to have unwatched dispayed first? I quite often find that up next display is actually something I’ve got halfway through or indeed finished watching.

1 Like

Clearly no interest?

I’m not really sure what you’re saying.

Up Next shows the next unwatched episode for each of your shows. If you were halfway through something, it will resume where you left off. If you have finished watching something, it should be marked as watched and not show up in Up Next.

I guess this may be more personal to us then. We have variable TV signal and sometimes end up watching the same programme on line or get part the way through on channels and switch. I guess it will always show as up next if you haven’t completed the show.

I remove the up next from each series from the webui and just use unwatched. It takes a little effort to do but I don’t like the redundant look. I’m sure most use the UPNext feature though, so I see why it’s first.

Does this then show in atv version? And how much effort?

On ATV, one can set “Up Next” to not display on Top Shelf (only) by triggering the Setting on ATV app.

To eliminate on other views, one must change a setting on each individual show “Recording” group. Recordings>Up Next>Show>More>Gear Icon> Toggle “Include in Up Next” to off (square rather than check).

As new show recording groups are added, toggle as above.

(In Web UI) for the individual show recording groups

3 Likes

This is what I was saying

Thabks

Thanks I mean.

Thanks for asking the question, I didn’t know the difference either.

Hah, I just posted about this same thing on a thread about UI optimization. I’ll try the setting and see if that helps (though the optimization is about more than that).

This is the kind of odd behavior to me, but I understand it’s hard to fix in a way that pleases everyone. For example, I never watch Colbert to the end, so it’s always considered unwatched and the wrong episode is presented to me as “next”. (Similar happens for when you skip the credits at the end of something.) I’ll try the tips in this thread.

If I’m keeping the recording, I just scrub to the end, takes 1 second. I do the same on HUlu and Netflix to ensure it records as watched.and did the same thing on DVDs and blue rays, it’s annoying when it starts up and takes me to credits.

I don’t ever finish talk shows either, but I immediately delete them anyway.

Netflix now has the watch next episode function, and l really like that since I don’t auto play. Wish we could do that on Channels.

Agreed, it’s just one of those “but you have to remember to do it” things that I think is great for UX optimization. That said, I don’t have a solution to it :slight_smile:

Yes. This still confuses me unless I go though everything and mark as watched or delete? Maybe it’s not that hard. Still I would be happy to see something a bit more user friendly.

For “daily” shows I have them sort in reverse order and remove them from Up Next. This way they only show in Recently Recorded, and when you click into them, the first episode in the list is always the most recent episode.

You can adjust a Show’s watch order in the web admin.

1 Like

Ummm exactlry where in the web admin?

It’s the web app used when you originally set up Channels DVR. Where did you install it?

If you enabled Remote DVR you can reach it at https://my.channelsdvr.net

It's kind of hard to find...