"Up Next"

I think the usage of the term "Up Next" in Channels in regard to older recordings is quite useless. It is also confusing to anybody that doesn't use the DVR on a regular basis. Since not everybody watches things in the order they were recorded or even close to it, "Up Next" doesn't really even make sense in that context.

How about simply calling it "Recordings". This would work while "Recent" serves the purpose of identifying the most recent recordings.

I think a DVR should at worst be intuitive, and "Up Next" is far from that.

Thoughts?

I was confused by this as well for awhile. It wasn’t until I had several passes set up that I realized it was the most recent recordings. I also usually skip by the “Up Next” section and just dive into the recordings below it... I’m never sure if what’s listed in “Up Next” is what’s truly the next episode I should be watching or if it’s just the latest recorded.

It did seem a little redundant at first when you only have a few shows. But after almost a year and with many recordings, I've gotten used to it. I particularly like that if I don't finish a show, it becomes the first "next up" show so I don't have to go looking for it when I'm ready to finish it. I appreciate how it's organized.

It is only great if you are the only one viewing shows ... for large households it is useless. I just watch in Plex now using KODI and Plexcconnect.

I've been using Channels for over 6 months and I didn't even realize that was happening. I generally watch shows from start to finish, though Even still, it feels like the recordings interface could use a better implementation of some sort.

A relatively minor quibble in an otherwise excellent application. But there's always room for improvement.

I use Plex for my video and music archives but it's really become bloatware. It's nowhere near as responsive as it used to be on my system.

I'm seriously considering not renewing my Plex pass after years because it's not worth it as I only use it for streaming music. I think that will still work without the Plex pass, but I might use an alernative solution if I have to.

UpNext shows the next episode of a series you recently watched, in order. It is only the most recent episode if you have watched all the other recorded episodes. If the season ends for a series you were watching, as soon as the next season starts, you will see the episode in UpNext. If you are current on all episodes of a series, as soon as the next episode airs, it is in UpNext. If you are not current, the next episode in the series remains in UpNext, so you can watch the series in order. When you watch that, the next most recent episode appears.

It really isn't that complicated and works the way that most people would expect to want to watch a series.

That is great if you only have one user but multiple users not so good.

Almost all shows I watch are a series and so they are viewed in order, so having a quick way of watching the next unwatched episode is great.

If you don’t use the feature, you can go into the recordings/shows and for each show uncheck the “include in Up Next”. This is also good for things like news where maybe you only want to watch the latest recorded episode, and not the earliest unwatched.

Up Next I sort of like when viewing on my own. However, I'd like the option to sort "Recent Recordings" by original air date (oldest first that is) and just get rid of the "Up Next" tab in my apps. Plus an option to show all by default (sorted alphabetically) instead of having to select More. Minor quibbles :slight_smile:.

1 Like