USB Boot in Loop

Yea you can do that. It's an exfat partition at the end named DVR

I got this fully working. Boots off USB-3 from a bus powered 2.5" portable 3TB drive. Manually transferred library and database from old server. Restored using web UI. I also attached a 8TB externally powered USB-3 drive that has some Film/TV content as well as general purpose PC backup. I am able to serve this from my Raspberry Pi to multiple clients and also access the full root drive of that 8TB via Samba as if it were attached via USB to my main PC.

All in all, this is great and looks like it will replicate the job of my old server in something that uses about 1/8th as much wattage and is comparatively tiny. Hopefully long term stability is good. I wasn't able to crash it with my best effort today (recording 4 shows, serving up 5 in original format, transferring files via Samba, and running Comskip on one) so the 3.5 amp 5.1V Canakit charger seems up to the task at least at stock clock speeds.

1 Like

A new release is out and the links to the RPI image have been updated on our website. This build should fix the boot loop issue, and supports more models like the Pi 400.

Thanks to everyone who helped investigate in this thread. All the screenshots were very useful in figuring out the issue was caused by the v1.4 revision.

2 Likes

I see the image has been fixed. However if anyone runs into this again for whatever reason, here is what I did to resolve. In the end I imaged the external hard drive with raspberry pi lite os (Debian). Then I proceeded to boot into Linux and install channels DVR using the instructions here:

Worked great, browsed to the IP of the server on port 8089 and finished up the install. No boot loop issues.