USB Bootloader Thread Closed

I am trying to follow the instructions in the old USB Bootloader thread to install the boot capability of the Rasberry.

But the image in the misc is different. I guess I choose the raspberry choice

You don't need that step if you purchased a PI recently. It comes loaded from the factory.

I have had it for a while not sure how long bought it when the PiShop got stock. It says Raspberry Pi 2018 on the board.

Okay then just choose the first option for bootloader

Starting a new Channels installation, I have the Raspberry Pi 4 powered up with a Pi power supply. I get solid red and green LED lights. I have a USB patch cable from my computer to the Raspberry. When I run the Imager, in storage, it does not see the Brand new Sandisk 64Gb Micro SD card. It sees my external hard drive, which I unplugged, and now in storage; it shows nothing. This is a little off topic but it is about installing the boot loader with a MicroSD card.

Am I doing something wrong?

The Raspberry Pi Imager works with an SD card reader/writer attached to your computer. For a time, they were standard equipment on many PCs, so you may already have one. If not, they're cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085P5FDXQ

1 Like

No problem, as I have one. But I am missing something. If I install the boot image on the desktop SD Card reader, how do I get it from that imaged MicroSD card onto the Raspberry Pi board so it will boot?

I am a Windows man, and this Linux stuff is a little confusing to me. I did it a couple of years ago, but just don't remember how I did it.

Put sd card into desktop reader, flash it, remove it, place into raspberry pi, boot.

The computer puts the data onto the card, then you put that card into the pi so it can be read and updated.

And, as I remember, the MicroSD card can then be removed fro the Raspberry.

Thanks for all the help!

No. The SD card is your boot drive.

Not in this case, it is being used only to update the bootloader. The USB drive is then used to boot.

Thanks for all your help. I had no problem writing the boot image to the microSD card. I don't remember having to do that when I did my last one. I inserted it into the Raspberry, and when it powered up, the green light started blinking. It is still blinking. How long should the bootloader file transfer take?

Also, on mine, I put an external HD on, and it was automatically set up as storage. It is a WD hard drive that needs a power adapter. The external HDs that I see now are mostly SSDs and have no power adapter. Will the USB3 port on the Raspberry 4 supply the power for one of these small SSD hard drives?

As an aside, I love channels and congratulate you on such a great creation, and the support is first-class.

Less than 60s

You can turn it off and remove the card after it starts blinking.