Use Channels-DVR as a tuner for Emby

Can you share your parser with me? I'm using xTeVe and that needs the playlist and XML to be separate files.

yup, i'm going to put it up on github once i have it fully ready to go. that's why i said i think i'll have it ready perhaps as early as tonight.

2 Likes

Oh thank you!! I misunderstood your post. I thought you said you stopped development. On the parser because the devs deployed something you could use instead. My bad!

Also, do you remember the post about the feature the devs provided? I want to read up on the discussion.

I stopped development on the parser I created once the Devs changed the m3u from Channels to better work with Emby.

@crackers8199 has created a new parser that he'll release soon. :slight_smile: This is a long post and easy to confuse the conversations.

1 Like

i stopped working on the parser because i realized that i could use the feature they provided for auto mapping, but i had already written most of it at that point. it works, it's just that their mapping is better so i am using that. i left the code there because it works and there's no reason to remove it when someone might find it useful, even though i'm not using it at the moment...

here's the other discussion on m3u playlists.

here's the thread on my mapping app, that includes the XMLTV output.

Is there a more complete list of how to access various services? Sling, etc. I noticed for example Locast isn't as simple as TVE-Locast/ you need to include the region# after the word Locast. Any chance there's a guide/list of all supported devices?

In the web admin find the list of sources. Click on the source you want the ID. In the upper left hand of the screen it is listed on the second line. For example Cox (TVE-Cox). What's inside ( ) is the ID.

Thanks for the response. When I click the EDIT button on any source, then I find what you're mentioning. that's helpful!

any way to use the m3u remotely? As in server is at my house and I want to use m3u list and app at my moms? tried using the my.channels.net:8089 where "my.channels.net" is your server code and no luck

You would have to use your external IP ... I believe not the local IP in your M3U.

It's not possible to do that without a VPN.

gotcha! thanks

How might I go about exporting to m3u file to use elsewhere?

Any advancement here? I'm not getting very good guide data.

Channels can now natively export its guide as XMLTV: GET /devices/ANY/guide/xmltv. You can also replace ANY with the DeviceID of a specific tuner/source in the path. The endpoint additionally can take 2 parameters: start, expressed in epoch time, for when the guide data should begin; and duration, expressed in seconds, for how much guide data to export.

1 Like

As someone who stumbled through all this (I use Jellyfin but it's essentially the same thing), it would be great to have a proper GUIDE for all this. How to find the M3Us (individual and /ANY), how to get the XML guide - I use channels standalone now but there will definitely be an audience for using it to feed their media server TV.

1 Like

The Guide data from Channels does not play nice with EMBY ... EMBY has trouble reading the Season and episodes from Channels Guide data. ... so it does not name them properly.

Here is a Sample of EMBY naming an Episode with Channels Guide data ... You would have to get Jellyfin or Emby to be able to parse the season/episode correctly. NextPVR already made this change.

The Flintstones 2021_01_24_10_30_00 - The Gravelberry Pie King

1 Like

Yeah I concur.

The XMLTV output from channels is a great feature, and it is advertised as "crude" but it would be a HUGE improvement if they can get it to provide a format that is 100% compatible with Emby.

@tmm1 I have been using XMLTV with Emby for years. If I can be of any help to get this done please let me know.

Why can't EMBY make the change ... I provided the XML to NEXTPVR and they added parsing of the Season and Episode ?. Both HDHomeRun and Channels use the same XML for Season/Episode.

<episode-num system="onscreen">S06E04</episode-num>
1 Like