Use Channels-DVR as a tuner for Emby

This is what I hope channels can do with their guide. I don't need pip, This is what I've been wishing for with Channels DVR. Guide over current live channel is how channel surfing should be.

3 Likes

Anyone have ad detection or something for ad removal in Emby Server.

Is that a real screen shot from Emby? What client?
That would definitely make me give it a try. Sorry to say, but the Channels DVR client is just lacking
Right now, I spend most of my time in Android TV Live Channels using PVR Live.

Emby does not support EDL skipping... We have asked for this for over a year.

Here's your answer. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64384-live-tv-channel-numbers-in-guide/

1 Like

Screen shot of Emby through Fire TV 4K. I used my own custom icons to make them larger in the guide grid. I had to edit all Pluto icons to make them bigger also. But customization of these logos have been requested by many others.

1 Like

They appear on my Desktop web browser

So it has to do with the size of your display I guess. Weird but Emby support was right. I can't see the channel numbers on my laptop but I can see them on my Home Desktop and Work Desktop

This is a solid setup I've used before, but since Live Channels now has network tuner support in the beta, how are you configuring things? If I allow Live Channels to use the network tuner, the recordings from OTA antenna are only accessible on that device, but if I allow channels to control the HDHomerun, PVR Live will allow me to record them to a network location.

Could you describe your setup in a nutshell please sir?

Since I had Emby already on a second NAS and Channels DVR can be setup as a tuner, I installed a second Channels DVR on the same NAS and configured Channels DVR as m3u Tuner using this as the url http://DVR IP:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u?format=ts (ANY is all sources in the DVR, you can setup for specific sources instead you want to), add your guide provider With his setup all recordings will be made on Emby server, Channels DVR is only a tuner. This is the only way Emby can be implemented for TV Everywhere access. This is great for channel surfing without having to exit to the guide to view programs. Also Emby setup automatically loads the last viewed channel.

I have a Channels DVR server that only serves the tuners TVE and Pluto to EMBY and another Channels DVR Server that does all the recordings... This way they all share the same streams if Viewing or recording same channel. I use EMBY for remote viewing as I can control the bandwidth per user.

I've disabled the native Live Channels support for OTA and Pluto TV and take everything from the Channels DVR m3u and epg as a PVR Live source. Nice thing is you can tell PVR live to only import those channels you have set as Favorites in Channels DVR.

As you mentioned, I use the network location as destination for the PVR Live recordings (on the same server where I run Channels DVR). I move things around as necessary to make the recordings available to Channels DVR or Plex. I haven't yet tried making other recordings available in Live Channels.

I have two quirks I'm still figuring out.

• The PVR Live timeshift buffer hangs after playing the same channel for 2.5 to 3 hours. I think there's a problem with the buffer when it hits 2G in size (I'm using an external 120GB SSD for the buffer, so plenty of space)
  • The mapping of program categories to Live Channel categories is very picky. If two category tags on a program map to the same Live Channels category, you'll get multiple entries for the same Channel in the Live Channels category selections (that is the category tags have to be unique mapping). I've fixed the PlutoIPTV js to handle things, but OTA and Philo (my other source) still cause problems. When I get some time I plan to write a post processor for those.
1 Like

I think I'm gonna play around with this setup some more then, I'm mainly curious if I can get 2 different devices to run live channels and record and play from one location. Should just work with default configurations, channels controlling the m3u, nothing fancy, could be an all channels grab, and filter out the garbage channels in the channels ui, and both livepvr installs pointing to the same location.

Since Emby is using Second instance of Channels DVR as a tuner, does the DVR engine need to be running.

Whatever DVR is feeding the tuners to EMBY needs to be running.

Emby v 4.6.x now has a channel manager that allows you to reorder the Channels DVR m3u however you like. You can also remove channels you don't want to appear in Emby.

2 Likes

Its still can't parse the Season/Episodes from the xmltv guide.

There is a script to fix that. That is not the only Problem if you use XML from Channes DVR it does not add the year to the folder which is a must with all these reboots

Where this script. Their support says that Emby can't parse the Season/Episode info.

Script to fix SXXEPXX XML to EMBY - General - Channels Community (getchannels.com)