Use of Siri API

Is there any plans for the “Channels app” to use or take advantage of any of the SIRI functionality. Just curious.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no API available to integrate with Siri yet.

We’re hoping this changes in the next version of tvOS.

This could be a step in that direction? Apple Begins Promoting ‘Live Tune-In’ Feature on New Apple TV Splash Screen

Hopefully so. It would be great if all apps gave the same seem less experience. Thanks

Unfortunately, this too is an “invite only” feature for the major corporate apps. As of now ignoble works for 3 network apps: CBS, ESPN, and Disney Junior.

If you’d like to see this feature, submit a request to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html asking them to add a public api so Channels and other apps are able to integrate with Siri and “Live Tune-In”.

2 Likes

The interesting design challenge for Apple to figure out is how you manage the Siri ‘name space’. For example, if I say ‘Watch CNN’ does this launch the CNN app, or launch Channels and switch to CNN?

Not for you guys to figure out, but it may be why they’re reluctant to open up Siri to third parties.

At a minimum, it would be great if Siri commands could be routed to the app that is currently open. For example, if I’m in the Channels app then all voice commands are evaluated by Channels first.

Just made a feature request.

Amazon’s Echo has third party support with voice instruction. It’s a great example of how such a scenario could be overcome by Apple. I hope they’ve made note of this and it has spurred development at Apple to get this sorted. It’s insane how long it has taken for Siri to expand beyond first party use.

Sounds like Apple are revealing a Siri SDK for app developers at WWDC tomorrow. Looks like Siri intergration may not be that far off if they’re opening it up to delelopers.

Oh, all well with the baby? Was it a boy or girl? Hoping you’re getting it least 4hrs sleep a night :joy::joy::joy:

SiriKit is only available on iOS and not tvOS :frowning:

We currently use Siri for “Search” in Channels DVR Beta (for upcoming shows/series).

Will this feature still be in the new Channels DVR?

Also, would it possible to add this voice feature to find shows in the “Recordings” section.

THAT SUCKS. All my hopes and dreams shattered. Damn you Apple, DAMN YOU :facepunch:t3:

Yes. This is just tvOS’s dictation support that was added in tvOS. All search bars support using Siri dictation to input into the text field.

So you’ll be adding the search bar in the “Recordings” section?

Sorry, I was just clarifying how that feature works. There’s no plans to support searching your recordings right now.

Just trying to sneak that one through :blush:

Might be a worthwhile feature to reconsider for the new DVR. On the “old” Beta, it was difficult to find recordings, as listing was by recording date.

Definitely need both an alpha and date sort.

I have over 200 movies and many have/will have 1000s, so voice search would be a welcome addition.

Is there any update on Live Tune-in support? Is it still a limited access API?

Yes. This is a partner only feature. This isn’t something developers have access to.