Use server as a client?

I know I will be taking some cycles away from the server for other clients. But if I go wiht more powerful Gen 11+ NUC for Server, is it good idea to use as client at the same time?

What OS there is a windows 11 client that uses the portable Android app ... but that is the only Client you can use ... unless you want to use the web browser.

right!! kinda of forget about that. no windows App.
I go for a Nvidia Shield

So if you have a more convenience mindset go for nvidia shield. (search the forums to educate yourself on all the problems people have had on that platform).
If you want more performance (fast comskip processing, multiple transcoding streams etc) go with the nuc. Use Linux instead of windows and u are in even better shape

Unclear what exactly you means as using the "server as a client". Channels DVR Server simply provides a web administration to let you do more advanced things and manage it and set it up. It's not designed as a client.

I like the Shield for the live TV channel surfing for the Wife. ATV looks like another good choice but not as friendly coming from WMC.

I will consider Linux distro after I get up and running and used to the clients

Thanks

For me the Shield was an awful device. Ads, clunky interface, and just general suckiness. My wife LOVES AppleTV and how simplistic it is. The Channels App will pretty much have the same UI on either platform but AppleTV is much better IMHO.

1 Like

is the ipad App about the same as Apple TV App?
I can test drive on the ipad

Pretty much

The iPad app is only somewhat similar to the Apple TV app. It works great, but the navigation is clunkier and it's much less customizable than the TV app.

guess I am getting a ATV! ordered a 2021 ATV with Ethernet renewed amazon $80

can you set the app to auto launch?

does it still have a movies tab to play from the MKV library on the DVR server?

If you want to play mkvs on the Apple Tv, I highly recommend Infuse. I have been using it for many years and it simply works every time.

I guess I'm confused. Channels plays mkvs perfectly fine. Why use another app?

1 Like

agreed! that why I am wonder why people use Plex, Emby or Kodi to play their home library when you can use the Movie/Video folder within Channels.

Because Plex/Emby have automatic Movie Collections.... no manual intervention needed... and have family profiles. It keeps watched status for each family member. I use Channels to record all my movies but EMBY makes it much easier to watch ...

do you put the TV show recordings there also?

so you just switch between the Apps? I think my wife is going to get lost on the OS level going between Apps

I am missing MCE where you stayed in the App and navigated within to see the 3rd party integrations.

Was just pointing out why I use Emby to watch Movies since you were wondering why anyone would .... I do have the Channels DVR shows in EMBY.... but I usually watch them and delete using Channels DVR. Channels DVR is meant for Individual viewing not really for Family Viewing.

I usually do not watch a Movie in one sitting so that is why I use Emby.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.