User Failure setting up remote DVR viewing

I am trying to get remote DVR access set up, and keep getting the message that I need to enbable it on the server. I have done this, and saw it defaulted to port 8089 - a good thing. Then I thought I needed to enable port forwarding from any incoming address on port 8089 to the unix box with the DVR server running to port 8089. When I did this and toggled the switch to enable remote viewing, I saw that channels jumped up to the next port. In fact, I started chasing it - opening up ports, and it would switch to the next port, before I realized that maybe I don't need to open the port and that automatic would be fine. So, I deleted the port fowarding options that i created on the router. However, even on automatic mode with no manual port fowarding set up, I still recieved the message that my channles DDVR was not switched to remote viewing. So, I set to manual, and then went back and re-enbled port forwarding to 8089. Still no luck. Any hints?
I am using ASUS RT-88U router, channels is running on laptop with ubuntu linux. Channels is version 2019.04.22.2317. The dvr server is on a static IP on my LAN.

since all that the enable remote does on the DVR is attempts the Automatic port forwarding, i would leave it off on the DVR and just configure the port forwarding of 8089 to your DVR IP. since you had done both, maybe you just need to reboot your dvr real quick after this and see if that doesnt clear it up?

Does portchecker.co show 8089 as open?

When I run fro. my ipad on the same network, it says yes 8089 is open. Do I need to run it from the ubuntu machine running the DVR? I am on the same LAN.

After futzing around with it so much, now I am getting "too many requests" instead. Rebooting the DVR is difficult - channels is constantly in use. It has been rock solid stable and has been running continuous for months.

When I press on the link displayed to set enable the channels DVR, the link ( Visit http://dvr-desktop-ic47ve5.local:8089 while at home to enable the Remote Access option.) leads to: dvr-desktop-ic47ve5.local ’s server IP address could not be found.

DVR Settings shows: Listening on {myexternalip}:8089
Portchecker shows port 8089 is open on {myexternalip}
The router shows my external ip is consistent with portchecker and the DVR settings.

I did just reboot the ubuntu box with the channels DVR. Good thing it came back up, or my family would have thrown me out.

What is connected to your ASUS RT on the WAN port?

You should verify remote access on LTE as some routers don't support hair-pinning

There is a cable modem, motorola surfboard, sb 6180, supplied by cox. I dont know what hair pinning is.

The router has adaptive QOS, I am not sure if that helps or hurts.

Hairpinning means connecting to the external IP from inside your network, which probably isn’t supported.

If you have a mobile device like an iPhone, turn off WiFi and then use the iOS app to see if you can connect remotely.

When i try to go on to mychannelsdvr.net, regardless of the device, i am intercepted by bizrate and sent to walmart or some advertising site. my.channelsdvr.net using lte tells me that my streaming is not enabled.

Any thoughts on the above configuration?

Can you tell me what username your DVR is running under so I can check some diagnostics?

My username is the same as here, bbrothers5259, or were you looking for my email?

I don't see any DVR account or subscription associated with this account. Perhaps that part of the problem? What username does it show on the top right of the DVR web UI.

Ill have to check when I get home.

That was it. I did not realize how closely a user account on the community was linked to the actual operation of the dvr.

Same problem here. Support/Trouble Shooting shows remote access OK. Portchecker shows port 8089 open. Username "dgw" same on web ui and here. The remote link brings up the page headings but never loads beyond that.