Using Channels DVR with Roku and Chromecast

I currently have a Roku and a Chromecast. I have added STIRR, Pluto and Locast.org to the Roku. I would like to use Channels DVR to record from all the channel groups on the Roku (or the Chromecast). Will that work? For playback I have a laptop connected to my TV which I currently use to play back recorded MPEG2 files. Am I correct in assuming I can play back shows recorded from the Channels DVR the same way if I install Channels DVR on it?

I am a bit confused on what you are trying to do, but can address a few of the things you mentioned.

• There is no Roku client for Channels. It's design would require transcoding and its hardware is insufficent to do that. Clients are Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, and iOS. You can also watch via a browser on a PC or Mac, but that's not really an ideal UI for a TV, and its a transcoded stream vs. what you get on the proper clients.
  • As a DVR, Channels DVR running on one of the many supported platforms fully supports Locast as a support, and there is a beta M3U source support that will do a really good job with Pluto and a so-so job with STIRR. It will provide Guide, DVR recording, Commercial Skip, etc. This has nothing to do with Roku.

The best thing to do is do the trial and see if it works for you.

4 Likes

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

1 Like