Using HDHomeRun Prime for cable recording, how interact with TVE as regards Prime tuner limit?

I've found similar questions on the forum but not exactly this one. I think I know the answer but I just want to confirm.

In my setup I use my 3 tuner Prime to record TCM and PBS from cable, in other words never more than 2 cable channels at once. Been experimenting with TVE (which is excellent!) to pull from TCM, PBS and other random channels as well as a test. TVE pulls from the internet so I think I can pull from as many channels simultaneously as I like (within bandwidth and CPU capacity) and they won't in any way bump up against the 3 tuner limit on the Prime. Was considering a 6 tuner Prime but (1) I can't find it for sale anywhere and (2) I don't think I need it for my use case.

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Mark M.

Correct. If your Prime is your first device listed for priority, Channels will attempt to use it for recording. If there is a program airing earlier on a stream from TVE, or it is one a channel that is DRM-protected on your Prime but available as a TVE stream, it will use the stream; likewise, if all 3 of your Prime tuners are in use and a program begins to air that is scheduled to record and is available on a TVE, Channels will access that stream and your 3 tuners on the Prime will continue uninterrupted.

The reason you cannot find information on the 6 tuner Prime is that it has not be released yet. SiliconDust still says they are anticipating a 2019 release, but they cannot promise anything. (Especially since they announced the 6 tuner Prime over 2 years ago. Kind of like how they announced their DVR would record DRM channels when they crowdfunded it 4-5 years ago, and it still cannot do that.)

3 Likes

Thank you for your thorough response!

I had no idea Channels was so adept at juggling inputs to ensure as many requested recordings as possible succeed. Really an impressive set of code!

Also wasn't aware of the vaporware content of the 6 tuner Prime. Thanks for that, too.

Channels isn't "juggling" your inputs, merely going down its priority list looking for the program. If it finds it on the Prime when it has a higher priority than TVE, it will attempt to tune it there. If that does not succeed, either because it cannot open a stream because it is a DRM channel or because there are no additional tuners available, then it will move down the list to the next input, which would likely be TVE.

Thanks, juggling was a loose description. But I appreciate your attention to detail.