Using the app without DVR running

I use the app on AppleTV 4K. Recently the PC where we run the DVR was switched off, even though everything else was powered up. So I had assumed I would have been able to use Channels to watch Live TV even though obviously the DVR facilities wouldn't be available.

But it wouldn't even let me go into the app, just complained it couldn't find the DVR host.

I thought Channels worked with or without a DVR? So how come it refuses to start without it?

Did you pay for the Channels app on your ATV? If not: You're running the "Channels DVR" version of the app, which requires there actually be a DVR. If you want to watch Live TV w/o the DVR, you have to purchase the Channels Live TV version.

I downloaded the free version of the app which explicitly said that there was NO difference between the two except one had DVR functionality. Since I pay for the DVR I took them at their word.

Yeah, maybe you should re-read that. They have no difference in functionality except the free one requires the DVR for functionality. The Live TV one works with the DVR, but does not require it.

Right, so in addition to the money I pay for the DVR I'm being asked to pay again? Channels is great but c'mon, that's taking the piss.

No, you're not. But you do have to keep the DVR running. Otherwise how is the app to know you actually have the DVR?

To do otherwise would require they implement a sophisticated licensing system where the free apps check in with a licensing server all the time, thus increasing their expenses, thus increasing what they'd have to charge for the product.