Video stall during h264 recording playback

Issue repeated, but recovered faster in beta

When it happens in the beta, go to the Settings tab and click Submit Diagnostics at the bottom.

Happened last night during playback, I did submit diagnostics at that time.

FWIW, I did notice this on a couple of non-transcoded recordings on my 4K this week (only a couple). The video froze at the same place on each pass, audio kept going. Infuse played them correctly (albeit without captions).

Happens to me on both iOS and tvOS, recordings play fine with VNC on my desktop.

Do you have a short recording that shows the problem? Can you upload it to google drive or similar and send me a link to it ([email protected]) along with the timestamp where the problem appears.

I haven’t seen it so far on the latest Apple TV beta. I will test with my phone this week.

Hmm ok. Do you still have any old recordings where it was happening? Would be interested to confirm that the recording has the issue in the normal app, and the same point in the same file plays back fine in the beta app.

I replied by email last night and included a dropbox link. Happened again on a recording at the same point on Apple TV Beta and iOS Beta.

I submitted logs last night from the iOS beta and emailed a link to the screen recording of it happening.

Thanks, but I need the actual DVR recording file so I can try it myself.

I just emailed you a dropbox link to the full file.

Just let me know when you’ve got what you need so I can delete that.

Not sure if my issue is related but last night’s recordings didn’t freeze with continued audio but had skips in the recording. It is like it just skipped over a few-30 seconds and continued. It did that throughout each recording a few times and through all recordings. Haven’t tried on todays updated server.

Check your DVR log… maybe the HDHR connection was being lost and it had to reconnect to resume recording.

Thanks for the sample recording you sent me. I was able to reproduce the problem, and narrowed it down to a bug in Apple’s VideoToolbox H264 decoder on iOS/tvOS.

I’ve filed a bug report with Apple (http://www.openradar.me/35979205) and hope this is something they can address.

In the mean time I’m looking into alternative workarounds. We may need to stop using the hardware decoder, which is unfortunate.

A new tvOS version is available on the App Store with a workaround for this issue.

1 Like

I’m still very much having the issue. Latest released version and latest TF Beta.

Playback of shows (NBC Nightly News is a good example) is unwatchable with massive skips in video - like 1-2 frames per second at times. Audio is usually OK.

Playing the video on my iPhone and AirPlaying it to the AppleTV is fine. But playback on the ATV itself is unwatchable. ATV 4, wired into gigabit Ethernet (even though it only uses 100mbit). PLEX and other apps are fine so it’s not an issue with connectivity, speed, or reliability of the data.

Sounds like a network issue. If Plex and airplay from Channels DVR work, it’s because they are both transcoding to compress the video first.

Can you try SD channels to compare? And see if the same thing happens on the InstaTV app?

Also post what hdhomerun model you’re using.

I’m seeing something similar. I’ve only noticed it on NBC channel, recorded OTA via my Connect. I’ve been meaning to switch my series passes over to the cable version of NBC via my Prime, but most of the series are on their mid season break.

I wouldn’t call it unwatchable, as it’s sporadic, but it would be nice to figure this out. I’m also hard wired aTV 4K to a Mac Mini as the DVR server.

If you have a recording which shows this issue reproducibly, please upload it to google drive and email me a link to [email protected]

This issue is specific to h264 video. NBC uses mpeg2 so whatever is happening is different than this bug (which was already fixed).

Can you open a new thread and describe what you’re seeing.

If you make your prime higher priority on the DVR it should update your passes automatically.