Video stops playing

Switch to software encoding and turn server quality to 8mpbs and see if that is any better. I am trying a lower quality on hardware now. It seems to play better but I just began the show. So, we shall see.

I tried changing the Web Client Buffer back to the default 30 seconds from the 1 minute setting I had it on. No change in stoppages. I will run with software transcoding until this gets resolved.

I am talking about server quality down to 8mpbs. I have the client buffer set to 2 mins and hardware encoding but play back seems better at lower server quality. I am watching a show now to see if it stops.

I DVR to a 960 GB NVMe SSD in a PCIe 3 X16 slot using an adapter card. AS SSD benchmarks show that I am getting 2600+ MB/s sequential read and write performance. For me, that should be plenty of performance to maintain 10 Mb/s playback quality. This is raw performance without any system-level caching.

That's great. Congrats. Woo Hoo!! But you totally missed the point of trying to down the server quality slightly.

I'm interested in maximum playback quality, so I will stick with 10 Mb/s server quality. For me at least, this and software playback are a better compromise.

Using version 2019.08.02.0213, with server quality down to 8mpbs (software or hardware encoding) with no unexpected video ending. If I change it to 10mpbs with either software or hardware encoding I am getting unexpected stoppage of the video. Where as in the past 10mpbs was not a problem. Hope this helps.

I tried setting server quality to 6 Mb/s with hardware transcoding. No joy - stoppages when trying to click forward in playback timeline - endless spinner at the center screen.

I am experiencing the same stoppage issues with the Opera browser Version:62.0.3331.107. Hardware transcoding on. Same with Firefox 68.0.1 (64-bit).

Just tried Version 2019.08.02.1957 with hardware transcoding on in latest Chrome - getting constant spinner when trying to load file. Never get to file length showing.

We have a new transcoding backend which will fix this issue. If you want to try that, run this command in powershell:

curl.exe -XPUT http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/hacks/streaming.indexed_transcoding

To turn it back off and go to the standard transcoder which is being used now:

curl.exe -XDELETE http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/hacks/streaming.indexed_transcoding

Let us know if this new backend fixes the problems you're experiencing.

I will try and report back.

My Win10 Pro x64 system uses an Intel I7-4770 with its IGP (HD Graphics 6400 w/Quick Sync video) for low power and noise - no dedicated PCIe graphics card).

Maybe this has some bearing on the hardware transcoding issue???

I ran the XPUT command in Powershell and it returned a "True" response.

Following that, I re-enabled hardware transcoding. Unfortunately, I now cannot load and watch any DVR recordings - I get a constant spinner and no indication of a video loaded.

There is a huge difference in quality. The image quality dropped even though I am set at the highest setting. Very grainy and pixelated. Image quality is bad on both software and hardware encoding. So far, I skipped around a little and the video hasn't stopped.

Could you try the latest beta (v2019.08.03.0221). I adjusted an encoder setting and it appears to have improved the quality quite a bit with the new transcoder.

I will be glad to try it. Right now it says Waiting to upgrade to 2019.08.03.0055... - Right now a couple things are recording but after that I will be glad to update and test it.

I've updated to Version 2019.08.03.0055. It's better now with hardware transcoding on. Files load and initially run properly, but only 10-20% of clicks randonly on the progress bar result in video playing. The other times result in endless spinners (more than 30 seconds).

I'll try V2019.08.03.0221 next.

OK - tried V2019.08.03.0221 with hardware transcoding on. Still getting stoppages and endless spinners when clicking on most new positions on progress bar.

Can you send the DVR logs to [email protected] for us to review?