Video stutter watching recording

Tonight we have been watching a recording of ANW and I am noticing some video stutter at what appears to be every 5 to 10 minutes. It’s very brief when it occurs and doesn’t affect the audio at all.

I just stopped playback a few minutes ago to send diagnostics from within app.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Oh, I am on the Oreo update by the way.

Do you have Surround Sound enabled?

Yes

I wanted to come back to this thread and add some more information as something else is now happening but I don’t think it is Channels specific as I am seeing it in a couple of other Apps and I am curious if anyone else is having this happen or if it’s just me. (on the Shield device)

I was watching a recording today that was from last night and one part I started getting very bad artifacts across the screen for about 2 seconds then it would clear up but come back about every 30 seconds or so. I was going to come here right away and post but decided to try some other apps as well.

I happened to have setup a recording via the hdhomerun app of that same show so I started watching it there and saw the same artifacts. Out of curiosity I checked out the same recording via the HDHR app on my Xbox One and no artifacts - perfect playback.

I then came back to the Shield and tried the recording in the Emby app. The same artifacts showed up. I then tried it in MrMC - no artifacts.

I then got curious and started watching Live TV on the Channels App. Some artifacts here and there. I then tried the HDHR App again - same problem with artifacts popping up. However, I installed the HDHR app on MrMC on the Shield and I am watching Live TV right now - no artifacts at all.

I then tried the HDHR app with Live TV on the Xbox One - no artifacts.

Is anyone else seeing this or is it specific to my device? I thought perhaps an HDMI cable issue or something going on with my receiver but since it isn’t happening on MrMC I am now very confused.

I received the Shield 7.02 update last night and I have played around with Live TV viewing today on all the different apps. The artifacts are gone!

So, I then watched that episode of ANW that I was seeing the artifacts in and they are now gone as well. So, all is now right with the world!

1 Like

I found a major source of the stuttering issue after several hours of debugging last night. The latest beta should be much better. You can install it by opt-in on https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getchannels.app

I am still investigating more performance fixes so we can get playback as smooth as possible.

1 Like

Excellent news! I am a Beta tester on this app so I will check out if the update is available and try it out a little later on.

1 Like

Is Channels beta 103 the latest one?

I just did some testing with Surround Sound on and with it off and all but one of my recordings are playing back just fine. The one I have some issues with I don’t think is a Channels issue. I recorded the same show via the HDHomerun app and I see the same problem on both apps.

Live TV doesn’t look that good when playback is using surround sound. It looks much better with surround sound turned off. There is a slight judder to the images, mainly during any camera panning, with surround sound turned on. With it off it looks fine.

Yea 103 is the latest. I’m surprised that surround sound off is better. Will do some more tests when I’m back home next week. (I’ve been visiting my parents since last week so I don’t have access to all my equipment which makes testing and debugging hard).

1 Like

That’s fine. Family time is important!

I will check back in next week.

1 Like