Viewing Italian TV Channels (via Channels) in UK

Hi All,

I’m new to Channels and I'm hoping for some advice as to whether or not what I’m trying to achieve can be done.

I am based in the UK and trying to set up Channels with my HDHomeRun for local UK channels and I’m also hoping to attach a m3u playlist for Italian TV. The HDHomeRun works perfectly for UK channels, but I’m struggling to add the m3u as a source for Italian channels.

The m3u links are here and are just streams running from official Italian networks: GitHub - Tundrak/IPTV-Italia: Collezione di link a canali TV e Radio italiani visibili e ascoltabili da Internet con un media player

The content is geo-restricted and needs to go through my VPN in Italy. Opening the m3u in VLC works fine when connected to Italian VPN, it also works fine with TiviMate on my Android TV, also with the VPN connected.

What would be the best way to get this into Channels? I have tried running the Channels server in Docker, with the container running through the same Italian VPN in another container. The channels are found (71), but I cannot get them to play on a device that is connected to the server. Even with the device connected to the VPN. I have also tried running the Channels server on a Mac Mini (VPN connected), with the same results.

Is it likely that I’m missing something obvious? I’d really appreciate any guidance from an expert here! thanks

You might find it easier to setup a second Channels DVR server in Italy (if that's a possibility for you), and then use an M3U from that server to feed the UK server -- no VPN required.

That could be a possibility, for sure. I won’t be going back for a while, so might have to park that one until then. Using a VPN is annoying. If I do put this together, how would the UK server be able to get around the geo-restriction? Presumably it will all work fine in Italy, but what goes on when passing the M3U from the Italian Channels DVR server to the one in the UK to avoid geo-blocking?

I’m using a publicly available Italian TV M3U now and the geo-blocking is present, so I’m just interested to know how the UK server will handle an M3U from my Channels server in Italy differently.

With the above in mind, do you know if it should be possible to run a second Channels DVR server behind an Italian VPN and feed the Channels M3U to a UK server? I know that I’m able to view the IPTV list channels through the VPN in VLC and TiviMate, so it’s definitely playable. I'm just trying to figure out where this falls over when using Channels.

Sorry if these are noob questions!

Thanks for your help!

You wouldn't actually be passing the M3U. The Italian CDVR server would use the Italian M3U directly, The UK server would use an M3U from the Italian CDVR server. Many of us that have multiple residences use this strategy to facilitate having a local DVR in multiple locations, where each can record content from the other location.

You could setup the Italian server similarly, if you spend extended periods of time there, to record UK content locally in Italy.

This is a topic that's very interesting to me. I have a house in Italy (am there now) but my main house is in the US where I run Channels so I can watch US TV when I am in Italy. My two houses are connected via Tailscale so I am able to watch RAI TV in the US running the RAIplay app but I cannot time shift ,etc so a linear TV representation for Italian TV would be great.

I just loaded the TV m3u on my server and a couple of channels seem to work. There's to epg info though.

This is very interesting.

Since your servers are on the same tailnet, couldn't you connect all your clients on the same tailnet too?

Then, when using a client, just switch servers on the client itself? Instead of using the M3U.

I only run Channels in the US where I have a HDHomeRun Prime as a tuner/source. In Italy, I use the RAIplay app - I don't have an over-the-air tuner (where I am the signals are weak and, although I have an antenna on my roof I have no idea where the cable goes). So, I watch Italian TV (RAI) over my internet (FTTC) connection using RAIplay app. Hence, the m3u approach gives me conventional linear tv and tuning.

Oh, right. I misread.
Thank you for the clarification.