Virtual channels and strmlnk (AppleTV and iPhone)

I can create a collection of strmlnks and they link out to the desired app and play just fine. I put those strmlinks into a virtual channel and they do not play from either the Apple TV guide or the iPhone guide. It just sits and spins and spins.

2 Likes

Since stream links are just a reference to another program, they can't work within a virtual channel.

1 Like

It then seems to be a bug in the interface that when creating a virtual channel those strmlnks are pulled into the view?

@maddox Now that strmlnks can be used in the guide as outlined in this thread any chance we could have a setting to turn on and add strmlnks for virtual channels? I would love to create virtual channels with my top picks from each streaming service and have them open the app. I realize they would not start the movie or series mid stream but that's fine by me.

1 Like

There’s no plans to support stream links in Virtual Channels.

I understand that we could make it work the way you described it, but it sets bad precedent for the feature as it does not fulfill the true pitch of the feature.

Understood.

I was hoping by making it a feature that is defaulted off under settings that might suffice for the limitation. I that scenario users would understand that full functionality isn't possible when they choose to enable it. I appreciate your consideration and respect that decision!

2 Likes

I came here because I was having an issue where stream linked content shows up fine in the library but does not work at all in the virtual channels, which is pretty much exclusively how I use channels (think recreating a cable network of my childhood using virtual channels). I get that it can't start the content in progress if you "tune in" after it started. I'd accept that as a compromise if it meant stream links could be added. Not being able to add stream linked content to a virtual channel makes the app a whole lot less useful for me unfortunately.