Virtual Channels Skipping Backward Issue

I've developed an issue with Virtual Channels, using version 2022.03.23.0209, where I start a virtual channel and watch the first show (typically already in progress)... it reaches the end but then skips backwards and resumes partway into the same show. At first, I thought a particular show file was bad, but this seems to happen regardless of the show. Thoughts on how to fix or what to look for in the log so I can share more information?

The only thing I see in the log so far that looks interesting is a bunch of these entries:

Queue input is backward in time

Update: I decided to uninstall Channels, reinstall, and restore. When searching via Google, it seems "Queue input is backward in time" is an ffmpeg error.

I will try again and update whether the reinstall resolved my issue.

This is a guess and could be incorrect.

The virtual channel is a live recording that you can both fast forward and rewind.

Is it possible that you are finishing the video before its scheduled time. Then it jumps back to where live tv would of been?

Reason for guess is. I have noticed behavior that if i finish a show after live tv time. Player jumps forward in next show to where current live tv time is

Thanks... I am simply starting a virtual channel and watching. No fast-forward, pause, rewind, etc.

It didn't do this a few days ago, it just started to act up... so I'm hoping the reinstall (mentioned above) has resolved an ffmpeg issue.

I'm aware that virtual channels will jump forward into the next show for scheduling reasons. But jumping backwards is definitely not right.

The reinstall did not resolve the issue. Here's a thought:

Several of the shows are cartoon sources, so episodes can range from a few minutes to up to 30 minutes (see attached screenshot).

I wonder if this is causing Channels to try to compensate backwards in error, instead of forwards.

I also will reiterate the need to offer a disable for the auto skip forward functionality of Virtual Channels (Virtual Channels - How is everyone using this feature? - #41 by egadgetboy).

I'm going to transition to Plex playlists for now and try shuffle to see if the experience is better. While Plex seems to have its own issues (primarily cumbersome editing/removing from playlists), at least the shows are playing back-to-back properly, from beginning-to-end, and with no skipping or backing up...

That is wierd. I have not been experiencing those issues.

1)Have you updated the OS for server/client?
2) Have you tried updating the client app itself?
2A) Try switching to the beta client?
3) Have submitted logs after it did this? Please post log reference number
4) Remove and reinstal ffmpeg on server

Sadly devs won't be able to assistcwithout error logs or if they can recreate issue.

@tmm1 Any other trouble shooting advice for him?

Thanks. See below:

1)Have you updated the OS for server/client?

Server OS is Windows 11 Pro, with the latest updates. Channels has been running on Windows 11 for several weeks now.
Server is running the latest Channels 2022.03.23.0209.
This issue happens on both an iPad and Apple TV. Both have the latest client versions of the app and the latest iOS installed.

1. Have you tried updating the client app itself?

See reply in Question #1

2A) Try switching to the beta client?

I have not, nor can I on an Apple device (that I'm aware of...).

1. Have submitted logs after it did this? Please post log reference number

I have not. Please clarify the best way to do this.

1. Remove and reinstal ffmpeg on server

I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled Channels on the server, which I presume uninstalled and reinstalled ffmpeg (because I have never manually installed ffmpeg). I also know installing newer components manually can interfere with software packages, so I have not tried to install ffmpeg independently.

This is a bug. It is on our radar for the next round of improvements for virtual channels.

1 Like

Sad that it's a bug. Have you tried using Raid? Glad it's on your radar.

@tmm1 Thanks for the update

@tmm1 Is there a way I can tweak something for now on my end? We watch virtual channels more than anything else. I've updated several betas just to see (currently on 2022.06.04.1914), but still have issues with virtual channels skipping backwards.

There's nothing you can do until the bug is fixed

Ok good to know, thanks for the update

Can you make sure your server and client devices both have the correct time set on their clocks

@tmm1 Yes, time is set to sync automatically, and a manual check confirms they are accurate. I have tested across all client devices (Chromecast with Google TV, iPad, Apple TV), and they all intermittently skip backwards.

1 Like

Still an ongoing problem. When is next round of bug fixes scheduled for Virtual Channels? Sadly, I'm considering cancelling my subscription for now. This is our #1 feature for Channels, but it is virtually unusable at this time...

In the meantime, why not turn off the time sync feature, and just allow shows to play back-to-back in a shuffled order? If people aren't screaming about Virtual Channels being broken, I'd think those who do use it would rather have it function than to 'say' that Channels creates a virtual timeline but then actually doesn't work right...

There is a fix for this in the TestFlight betas

Thank you, I emailed the request to join TestFlight today.

1 Like

I have tested using the latest TestFlight build #2022 (9.1.549). Unfortunately, the virtual channel issue still persists.

I am testing on AppleTV model A2169 with tvOS 15.6 (19M65) and Channels Server version 2022.08.31.0122 running on Windows 10 Pro OS build 19044.1949 + Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0