VIRTUAL CHANNELS tweak - playback time schedule

I would love to be able to add content to a virtual channel where I can schedule the playback time for each episode, instead of just sequentially. Here is an example:

• 8pm - play next episode of Star Trek Original Series
  • 9pm - play next episode of Star Trek The Next Generation
  • 10pm - play next episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine
  • 11pm - play next episode of Hell on Wheels
  • 12pm - PLAY SCREEN SAVER UNTIL 8PM THE NEXT DAY

You get the idea. I guess after an episode ends there would be dead 'air time' until the next scheduled item begins to play. Maybe this could be filled with a screen saver or music, perhaps even something similar to what Pluto TV fills until start of next show.

This would make it more like a regular TV channel where I expect to see the next episode on the next day and in my opinion, would put virtual channels over the top. It doesn't really make sense as is to have all episodes play around the clock.

PS The first part of my playlist above mimics what one would find on the H&I network.

What do y'all think?

1 Like

the general idea of using buffers is nice. Doesn't even have to be a large time block, but to keep things closer to 30 min blocks.

there are a lot of things that could be done to make virtual channels better - they are a killer feature of channels vs plex of jellyfin too.

another big one would be giving programming blocks for individual channels - eg program x between the hours of x and y

To revise my initial post somewhat, perhaps would only need to have the ability to have a start time each day for the added content, and play only 1 episode of each. Perhaps this would be simpler to implement vs having a separate start time for each piece of content. So, the shows would play sequentially with no breaks between, but would always start with the next sequential episode on the next day. ...just a thought.