VisionOS port/integration

So, there's absolutely an audio issue on Apple Vision Pro. It's not actually anything new. There's been an audio issue for years where the audio glitches when a notification comes in. It's pretty clear that it has to do with playing both sounds at the same time.

This wasn't too bad on iOS/iPadOS, but is a bit worse on visionOS because you can ACTUALLY do more than one thing at once (finally.)

We're aware and will be looking into it.

Changing to the Experimental audio driver seems to go a long way towards correcting the audio issue. No more snap, crackles or pops.

Right now Iā€™m watching the Pro Bowl games and itā€™s working absolutely great.

Much as of course Iā€™d love to see what you can do with a native visionOS app, frankly, the iPad app is all I really ā€œneedā€ here. Itā€™s working great and just looks great.

Still canā€™t believe this is only Day 2 and itā€™s working this well. Incredible work!

PS - this message brought to you from Apple Vision Pro.

4 Likes

This issue has been fixed in the latest TestFlight, so the Default driver will work correctly.

2 Likes

Fantastic. Iā€™ll keep testing as soon as I get home tonight.

For the record, it seems thereā€™s some instability in the audio stack on AVP far outside of Channels. I had a complete audio failure today on Zoom.

Still incredible for a first cut of next level technology!

There definitely is. I've rebooted mine at least twice to get audio back. The whole thing is super buggy right now. They should be able to clean a ton of it up after even just a week of telemetry reporting back.

I saw this morning that the Channels client software is up on the Apple Store in iPad compatibility mode for AVP. Thanks!

However, the button says "Purchased" and doesn't allow me to download it. Does anyone know what this means and how to get past it to download the software?

You have to sign up for the Test Flight preview first, in order to be able to download the beta version of the iPad app, not the current public release.

No, with version 5.8 released yesterday, the general release should now be available from the App Store.

If you can see it in the visionOS App Store, then it should work. Iā€™ll take a look, but anything to do with downloading is an App Store issue.

Looks like Apple doesn't have 100% testing coverage for AVP on the App Store.

Looks like all is correct.

I've so far spent 2 hours on 2 separate calls screen sharing with Apple trying to figure out why I'm unable to download this on the AVP from the iOS compatibility section of the store. So far, they're stumped. They say the Apple store should show a cloud-download button, but instead it shows a "Purchased" button which doesn't do anything.

At the suggestion of another Vision Pro user who was encountering the same problem downloading Channels in the app store, I successfully got this to work. These are the steps both of us took.

1. Find the Channels DVR app in the AVP iOS compatibility store. It will show the non-functional "Purchase" button.

2. On the left, go to Apps & Games.

3. Find an app with a "Get" button to download. Press the left button to authorize the download.

4. Go back to the Channels DVR app store section and the button will have magically changed to a cloud download button.

I'm in no hurry to use this, but after trying the AVP today I'd like to throw this out there...

If a dedicated AVP app is developed at some point it would be great to have the video open in a new window with the possibility of playing multiple channels at once in separate windows (assuming you cannot open multiple instances of the app to achieve this with the iPad app).

2 Likes

Considering the app's reliance on a custom video player, I doubt such an "interface" would be possible.

However, coupled with a DVR server feeding H.264 videos ... possibilities may exist ...

You can possibly have two running now with the separate DVR and Channels apps, assuming both are available in compatibility mode.

Yes, multiview could be an easier possibility with spatial computing and Channels.

I tested this out, and was able to launch both versions of the CDVR app simultaneously in VisionOS, however, initiating playback on one pauses playback on the other.

Iā€™m hoping that one day apps like this will be able to spawn multiple windows, or multiple app instances, regardless of what they use as their video player.

In the meantime this cool little VisionOS app called ā€œTelevisionā€ just dropped:

Theyā€™ve even got it capable of embedding YouTube videos now.

https://www.twitter.com/adamlisagor/status/1761082163909537910?

The future looks bright :dark_sunglasses:

Is that how all video apps work currently (starting playback on one pauses the other)?

What happens if you try to watch Channels and another app, such as Disney, at the same time?

It appears that way, yes, at least with the video apps I just tried.

It pauses in the other. This happened with Channels and Disney, as well as with Disney and MAX.

The demos I've seen with multiple video windows all seem to be playing from one app, like NBA. I don't have an NBA.tv subscription to test that out. Here's how it works though, scrub to 14:46 in this video: