VM on Windows Server?

I posted this in a different thread before this one opened up. How would I install this on Windows Server 2008? I would like to run a VM for the dvr but can’t figure out how to set it up. I have plenty of CPU horsepower and hdd space. If I reboot the Windows Server will it shut down and restart the VM automatically? I tried to follow one outdated guide I found online but it didn’t work. For now I just setup an Ubuntu install on my old server but would rather not have to run another PC.

You would need either Hyper-V or VirtualBox installed.

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744752.aspx and virtualbox.org

Is a docker image still going to be a supported option? Interested given the prior feature list of automatic updates how this will work within docker env; normally the docker image is versioned.

We had a lot of problems getting the DVR software working with Docker. The way it handles networking causes the DVR server not to be able to communicate with ATVs and HDHRs, so we have punted on Docker for now.

Maybe when the beta is public I can give it a try and provide some feedback. I use docker a lot for container deployments and not really had these types of issues over a number of technology stacks.

Docker should work if you use --net=host. You also need to share your storage into the container, and make sure permissions are correct so the DVR can write it’s database files and recordings some place that will be persistent.

The DVR software is self-updating, so there is no need to create a new docker container per release. It is recommended to run it once and let it update itself.

@tmm1, any docs available fo getting the virtualbox and dvr software installed you can point me to? I have it installed, with a linux vm created, but am kinda lost atm… Thanks

Make sure you set the vm to use bridge networking instead of NAT.