Volume control stopped working

Volume control recently stopped working using apple TV remote? Intermittent problem

The AppleTV volume control works via HDMI-C. The AppleTV tells the TV (or amp) to raise or lower the volume. I’ve found HDMI-C gets messed up from time to time on the AppleTV. One of the symptoms is that the volume control no longer works. In my experience, a restart of the AppleTV always fixes this.

Edit: It may be that volume via HDMI-C is an option. If so, the above only applies if you have it set up that way.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. May be my imagination but seems to be a recent issue?

Volume control is part of tvOS and our app has no control over it.

You can check your tvOS settings under Remote.

I have noticed that my Apple TV remote has been draining really fast while having this app open. I’m not sure if it’s the Channels app or not but I seem to have to charge the remote more often than I used to. This is happening on multiple Apple tvs for me.

Battery drain is a known issue if you enable the “shake to mute” feature. You can disable this on the Settings tab.

Any chance my loss of volume control is due to me inadvertently putting the app in mute mode?

It’s possible, but shake to mute is disabled by default and you have to enable it. When you mute, there’s a big icon on the top right of the screen saying its muted.