Volume level much louder with Channels App than other Apple TV Apps

When switching between the channels app and other Apple TV apps it is necessary to significantly adjust the volume to normalize the loudness. And easy fix to this?

What source is louder in Channels? For me, where TVE is only stereo and it passes through my sound system, it much louder. Not sure this can or should have a fix. In Channels, when I play 5.1 content from my library, I have to decrease the volume. I experience varying volume levels based on the source content.

1 Like

I was under the impression it was from both antenna and TVE sources, but will double check when I get home from work tonight.

I have the same issue and nearly wake the kids every night when switching from Netflix to Channels. I found this on another forum which may potentially resolve the issue, hoping the developers read this.

For playback of Dolby Digital audio, there is a Metadata parameter called "Dialnorm", which is designed to normalize playback volume on an audio processor.

tvOS definitely honors DIALNORM.
Tested it myself.
To get playback without attenuation, DIALNORM should be 31.
I’ve seen some content with DIALNORM 19 and as ordered, tvOS will attenuate it by -12dB.

2 Likes

I have the same issue. I think it's because I have the "enhance dialog" setting on. When I turn that off, the volume doesn't seem louder than other apps.
It's weird though, because you would think that setting would make all apps louder, but equal

1 Like