VOTE: Server needs Channel Collections Guide View

I tend to browse Channels frequently from my server, but can't see the custom guide I created with Channel Collections. Please add to the Guide - it can be added to the All Sources drop-down, or filtered with the All Channels drop-down.

2 Likes

+1

One of the things I would also like to see added to the DVR admin web UI.
I just don't think the devs like our suggestions on how to implement our requests.
Those type of requests never seem to get any attention. Just my experience.

2 Likes

@maddox and @tmm1 have actually been very responsive to my suggestions and concerns.

I get that they can’t/won’t always implement a feature or tweak, but they seem transparent about their intentions. I respect that.

As a side note, I know developing a dedicated app for any OS takes effort, but I’d think opening up another port and offering a web version of the player client would be easy for those who want to watch from a laptop or something…

Changed this to a "Feature Request" so people can vote. +1 for me!

3 Likes

Why would that be easy? You have multiple video formats and browsers to account for. Unless you transcode everything, which makes things potentially problematic, it's not a light lift.

That being said, i agree on the OP - would like to see collections added to the web UI.

I don't understand this. What is different about this than just visiting the web admin as it exists now.

@maddox Most of the teens and preteens I know, and even young adults, don’t even have a TV. They are accessing from their MacBook or PC and using it as their primary form of entertainment. I access from the server, but wouldn’t want anyone else fiddling through those menus… A web client for PC and Mac would surely benefit everyone.

Heck, here’s an even easier idea (as I know you historically don’t wish to create logins for different users): Why not simply move the “Server Settings” section to its own menu and then restrict with a PIN there? That way, everyone has the same viewing experience from the same client, but if admin needs to tweak something then they still have access to Settings. It’s locked down, and no need for separate logins…

In the simplest of examples, the Server could have a new landing page:

channels

Live TV would navigate to http://127.0.0.1:8089/admin/guide/grid
Server Settings would navigate to http://127.0.0.1:8089/admin/settings with PIN protection

As a temp solution, I suspect one could fiddle with the Client Settings to restrict to certain access only, but again this is one of my least favorite parts of Channels - that restrictions are set by client rather than by login (because several of us access from the same client, and what works for one user isn’t practical for another).

2 Likes

@ARRampton I found your post after starting this one. FYI in case you wanted to vote...

@maddox I don't know that voting is necessary for this one... you? Seems like there are a bunch of past threads that would suggest interest and need. I can continue to poke people to vote, but the forum really moves too rapidly to stay on the same topic long...