Warning messages?

When a recording fails, or there is some other program fault, or a new channel is added to the EPG lineup (or a change otherwise), is there a place where a warning pops up that is very obvious to a typical household user, so that we know there is a problem?

It shows on the schedule tab

When the user views that failed recording, can some kind of information be provided as to why it failed, something that doesn't require digging through logs?

What about other events? Channel added/removed from EPG, hard drive space is low, tuner is missing for some reason, recording conflict due to tuner limitations ...

A user expects their DVR to be reliable, and when it isn't, the reason for it needs to be in their face and immediate, so that it can be resolved before more recordings are lost.

How do I make sense of these failed recordings, and the recording that seems to still be in progress, even if it is not?

The details are in the Log tab. We need to do a better job of surfacing them up.

The one that's still marked recording seems like a bug. The log messages for it would help us figure out why it didn't get marked as failed.

What file do you need, where do I send it

C:/programdata/channeldvr/data/channels-dvr.log to [email protected]

That would be great if the failed message were more descriptive! Thank you.

What does warning message "Failed: program already started" mean?

That the recording failed because it was already in progress, so a complete recording could not be made.

aka: the DVR took too long to get up and going... either your TVE wasn't logging in, or your system was asleep, or the tuners weren't available, etc.... until a time when too much of the show had gone by that it was no longer reasonable to record whatever amount of show was left.

Will the log files provide the cause, or is that something that could be included in the warning message?

In my past experience with this particular error message, you can usually see several entries above it the reason why; such as inability to tune the channel, not enough tuners, disk issues, etc.