Watching Channels Recordings on Plex - Thumbnail Issue (Media Index Files)

I'm using Plex to watch Channels DVR recordings from my Roku devices. It works well except I am having an issue with the Thumbnails used for fast forwarding/rewinding (media index files). I know this may be a plex issue, but I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced the same issue and has a work-around.

The problem seems to be that plex generates these thumbnails as soon as media is added to the folder. That is fine for plex recorded shows as plex doesn't move it into the folder until it is done recording. However, for the Channels DVR folder the show is added as soon as the recording starts (which I actually prefer). It appears plex starts to generate the thumbnails for these new recordings after a few minutes (before the recording has finished). That leaves me with thumbnail generation for only part of the program. Creating a plex 'daily' task doesn't seem to help as plex thinks the thumbnails have already been generated since the thumbnail task has already run.

I know I can turn immediate thumbnail generation off in plex and just do it as a scheduled task, but that option applies to all folders and not just the Channels TV folder. I want thumbnail generation to be applied immediately after the programs are 'finished'.for all content, not on a daily basis.

It would seem that if I could set a schedule to generate thumbnails per library on plex, that would solve the issue. But that doesn't seem to be possible. Is there any other way to have the thumbnails generate for just the Channels library? Is there some way to set a delay?

I also use MCEBuddy, so I am not sure if there is a way to use that to make this work. I don't want to transcode the program, and I don't want to have multiple copies of the recording. I'd also like to be able to watch the Channels recording before it has finished if the need arises.

Anyone else do something similar and have a solution?

I think I found a possible solution, but I am not fully sure how to implement it. Plex has a stand-alone scanner program that can be run from a Windows command line. You can use this scanner to manually add Media Index Files (Video Preview Thumbnails) on command. Here is the info from Plex:

Using the following command, I can force plex to generate missing video preview thumbnails...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Scanner.exe" --index --section 9

The section number corresponds to a specific Library (i.e. section 9 is my Channels TV folder). This seems to work, but I am not smart enough to know how to automate the process. Is there a way to create a .bat file that runs once per hour (or x minutes after new media is added)? Does Channels allow for a post-processing script where it could run after the recording has finished?

You could use the windows task scheduler: Does the dvr refresh it's files at a certain interval?

1 Like

Great idea on the windows task scheduler. It only allows for 1 update per day, but I will see if I can create a few separate tasks so I can have the plex media scanner run a few times.

After setting up the windows task scheduler to run the .bat files, it seems to be working as planned. I had to create a .bat file for TV and a separate one for Movies. I noticed the movie scan didn't add the video preview thumbnails without adding another plex scanner option. Here is what worked for me:

TV Thumbnails:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Scanner.exe" --index --section 9

Movie Thumbnails:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Scanner.exe" --generate --section 10
timeout /t 90 /nobreak > NUL
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Scanner.exe" --index --section 10